Skip to main content

Year in Review: 2022



    Well, this was my Return of the Jedi/King year, but unfortunately, I'm probably going to franchise this thing until I die ... 
  
  Every year that I'm still putting stuff out is a banner year for me, but I don't want to undersell the effort I put into Films and Feelings during 2022. Arguably my biggest milestone this year was putting out my 100th post, commemorated as a list of my favorite movie each year for 100 years, but this was also a big year for essays.

My essay round-up this year: 

    -"My Crush on Sarah Conner is Hard to Explain" A summary of all the flagship and subtle ways that Sarah Conner of the "Terminator" franchise advanced female representation in action films.

    -"The Belle Complex" A study of how the mania surrounding Disney's Belle as a pillar of righteousness contributed to the incoherency of the 2017 remake of Beauty and the Beast.

    -"Meet in St. Louis: The Melancholy Window of Nostalgia" A reflection on how the social unrest of World War II informed the colorful optimism of Meet Me in St. Louis.

    -"Some Much Needed Love for Megamind" A retrospective on Dreamworks' 2010 animated superhero parody, Megamind, with some reflection on the discourse around animated films in general.

    -"Social Utopia in Raya and the Last Dragon" A deconstruction of Raya and the Last Dragon's thesis on achieving harmony in a socially divided world.

    -"Main Character Syndrome" A study of how popular film can both exacerbate and comment on a viewer's self-affirming worldviews--the tendency see oneself as the "main character" of life.

    -"The Case for Pre-Ragnarök Thor" An overview of Thor's transformation in the Marvel Cinematic Universe from beacon of chivalry to comedic action star.

    -"You're Not Stupid for Loving Jurassic World" An advocacy piece for why the Jurassic World trilogy deserves more respect in the popular discourse.

    -"Part of that World: Understanding Racebent Ariel" A rebuttal against the #NotMyAriel dialogue surrounding Halle Bailey's casting as Ariel in the live-action remake of Disney's The Little Mermaid.

    -"Your Train to Busan Viewing Companion" An overview of various lenses through which Train to Busan can be read and understood, including genre and socio-cultural.

    -"What's Up, Doc? Why Everyone Needs the Rom-Com" A study of the male fear of romance, as manifested in the casual dismissal of the rom-com genre, seen through the lens of What's Up, Doc?

    -"Silver Linings Playbook: What are Happy Endings for Anyway?" A study of Silver Linings Playbook and its unique perspective on the universality of the search for happiness. 

    A recurring theme among this year's essays, one that I didn't necessarily anticipate, was that of "Main Character Syndrome." I dedicated an entire essay to this exact topic, but the foundations of said essay also reflected in some of the others, like my pieces for the "Beauty and the Beast" remake or Silver Linings Playbook. I guess this year I've just been thinking a lot about the consequences, good and bad, of trying to live like a main character.

    I also want to single out my Main Character Syndrome essay as arguably the most significant from this year because it represented a creative jump for me. This saw me deviating from my usual method of writing about a single film, genre, or brand and following instead an idea across various films of different kinds. One aspect of film literacy is possessing knowledge not just of individual films, but also of finding connections across multiple kinds of film, and I'm really interested in pursuing more essays of this fashion.     

    Of course, heaven knows when I will put this goal into practice. This time last year, I also teased the possibility of me expanding my boundaries and spotlighting more obscure titles. I then proceeded to spend most of the year writing about Disney remakes and Marvel. 

    Well, I am trying to rectify that particular oversight. Currently I'm drafting an essay spotlighting an indie film that I really responded to. The film in question is Lamb, released in 2015 and directed by Ross Partridge. The film follows the unusual relationship between a grieving 47-year-old man and an emotionally neglected 11-year-old girl. Variety called the film, "a cautious, sensitive, admirably unresolved attempt to dramatize a relationship for which society makes no allowance and offers no definition." It's the kind of film that would stir a lot of pots, if only it had ever found an audience, and that's where platforms like mine have the potential to elevate fascinating stories that grow on the peripheries of the landscape.

    By virtue of its obscurity, I doubt most of my readers have even heard of it, and this is why I want to give curious viewers the chance to find it before I debut my essay on the subject, some time in the first months of 2023. Stay tuned for more updates, and consider seeking it out in the meantime.

    I will also probably remember 2022 as the year that I finally cashed in on many of the essays I'd been meaning to write since I started "Films and Feelings." As a reference point, I was drafting a defense of the Jurassic World movies in the first few months of my blog (literally before pandemic), but I decided it was in the piece's best interest to wait until I had the chance to see "Dominion" before I signed my name to that franchise. This gave me an extra two years for my argument to cook, which I think made for a much stronger piece. Many of my essays I published this year were of a similar background.

    An essay will also occasionally just come to me fully formed and I can get the whole thing written out in a week or two. My series on Pixar and critics and my retrospective on the Percy Jackson movies were both like this. But with most of my essays I'm figuring out the details of my argument as I'm putting words down on the document over the course of several weeks. I'll often assign myself topics and just wait to see where I go with it. I'm sure all my essays would be better if they had two years of researching and prewriting, or if they just fell into my brain and onto my keyboard, but if we only ever waited until the muses dragged us by the ear to go to work, how much art would go uncreated? How much learning would we miss out on? 

    I obviously can't anticipate how and when I will strike gold, but going forward I would like to cultivate an environment where my workload is more conducive to that other kind of writing. The kind where I am responding less to quotas and deadlines and more to the things that actually excite and inspire me. I can't say for sure whether this will mean more essays or less essays in the next year, but I hope at the very least it will result in better essays.

    A unique irritation this year was, of course, my attempt to watch a movie I had not previously seen every day in 2022. This drink from a fire hydrant quickly became a chore, and I ended up bowing out of the challenge with barely over a month left. I documented my complete feelings on the challenge in my concluding piece a few days ago. The short of it, I am glad to have had this experience, and I absolutely recommend that no one attempt to follow my footsteps ... 

   Perhaps owing to this fool's errand, I went to the theater even more frequently than usual. Regretfully, I only put out 16 reviews this year (including a few for direct-to-streaming films and two for the new season of Stranger Things). This is about on par with my usual yearly count, but it doesn't quite reflect the amount of effort I put into seeing films in their proper context. 

     Good movies like Father Stu, The Bad Guys, and The Banshees of Inisherin all managed to escape me this year as I struggled to fit in the time to develop a review. Next year I don't plan on slowing down in my intake of new releases, so I'll have to rethink my process. Essays have always been the backbone of my work here. But greeting new films as they enter the arena of social discourse is also a special privilege for the cinephile, and it's one I don't want to neglect or squander. 

    I don't know if writing about film will ever become mundane or tedious to me, but I'm nowhere near there yet. I'm grateful to have the opportunities that I do, and I'm grateful for readers who are willing to indulge me. 

    We'll see you in the cinema. 

                --The Professor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Star Wars - The Mandalorian and Grogu

      I haven't historically considered myself a "Star Wars" kid. And to be clear, I take no pride in saying that or anything. I respect the property and what it's given to pop culture.      But I do feel like it's worth mentioning in this review that I didn't really go into Jon Favreu's The Mandalorian and Grogu thinking I had much of what I'd call nostalgia for this movie to exploit.       And yet watching this movie, I found myself hearkening back to the things about Star Wars that caught my attention as a kid. For me, that was the gladiator-style match in "Attack of the Clones." This film offers quite a few roller-coasters along those lines. And as far as the creature designs go for the monsters in these arenas, they were quite good. I wasn't trying too hard to anticipate which were computer-generated and which were puppeted, but the aesthetics of both the Jim Henson era and the Spielberg era sat very well here in this vessel....

We're Back! a Dinosaur's Story - Getting Lost in the "Last Frontier of Imagination"

Last month, Variety ran a piece observing, “Hollywood Can’t Survive Without Animation. So Why Won’t the Industry Respect It?” by Clayton Davis, who reported , “In the nearly five decades that domestic grosses have been tracked, an animated film has finished the year as the No. 1 release just seven times, beginning with Disney’s 'Aladdin' in 1992. Now the medium is having an unprecedented run, with 'Inside Out 2' and 'Zootopia 2' topping the last two calendar years (a first for animated movies to lead the box office for two consecutive years) and the latter becoming the highest-grossing animated film ever domestically. 'The Super Mario Galaxy Movie' is leading 2026 so far and is the only film to cross $1 billion. Setting aside the 2020 and 2021 pandemic seasons, which emptied theaters of family films, animated features have made up about 20% of the year’s 10 top-grossing releases over the past decade. And yet, the artists who make these movies have rarely...

"What Are Happy Endings For Anyway?" (II) - The Docks of New York

Yes, fellas. Your calendar is correct. We are, in fact, 10 years out from La La Land .          My main point of interest in Damien Chazelle’s groundbreaking 2016 musical has historically been its role in helping set off the sort of stealth renaissance of musicals we’ve been experiencing the last ten years where we all try to see how big we can make the genre before anyone notices. Chazelle explained at the time , “Now more than ever we need hope and romance on the screen, and I think there’s something about musicals that just get at something that only movies can do. That idea of movies as a dreamland, movies as the language of our dreams and movies as a way of expressing a world in which you break into song, that emotions can violate the rules of reality.”      The hook for this film, though, is very much the film’s ultimate rejection of the traditional happy ending for which musicals are so well known. That is the reason why...

REVIEW: Jungle Cruise

  Disney has relied on branding for their box-office since Walt himself started using fairy-tales as a launching pad. Flash forward 80 years, and the branding wars have escalated not just within the Disney company, but the industry all around. Disney's Jungle Cruise walks the line between original and remix, and not just because it's adapted from a theme-park ride. This film, a pastiche of adventure flicks over the last 60 years, absorbs the best from its sources of inspiration but falls just short of congealing them into something truly groundbreaking. Tales a mythical tree of life have beckoned explorers since it bloomed into legend hundreds of years ago. This catches the interest of explorer Lily Houghton who makes it her mission to find the tree, first to distribute its gifts to the world and second to keep it from the hands of less benevolent seekers. Her success hinges on joining forces with the gruff Frank Wolff. He'll ferry Lily and her brother, McGregor, across th...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: 10 Movie Theater Experiences That Changed Me

   So, January 2012: Disney is rereleasing their 1991 animated masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast into theaters, and in 3D format, and I'm able to coerce a friend into seeing it with me.       This was a big deal because, as with most of the Disney movies we'd call "classic," Beauty and the Beast had its day in theaters before my time, and this was an opportunity to experience the movie in its proper element, and maybe imagine what it would have been when the legendary tunes by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken graced the public for the first time.     My larger circle was none-too-impressed with my choice. Didn't I know that the movie was already on DVD? That I could just watch it anytime in the comfort of my own home without having to pay for another ticket? How could I be so careless with my finances? (Incidentally, many of these same friends would pay top-dollar to see the Beauty and the Beast remake five years later on opening weekend ...)  ...

Do You Hear the People Sing?: "Les Miserables" and the Untrained Singer

          Perhaps no film genre is as neglected in the 21 st century as the musical. With rare exception, the o nly offerings we get are the occasional Disney film, the occasional remake of a Disney film, and adaptations of Broadway stage shows. When we are graced with a proper musical film, the demand is high among musical fans for optimum musical performance, and when a musical film doesn’t deliver this, these fans are unforgiving.  From the moment talking was introduced in cinema, the musical film has been a gathering place where vocal demigods assemble in kaleidoscopic dance numbers in a whirl of cinematic ecstasy too fantastical for this world. What motivation, then, could Tom Hooper possibly have for tethering this landmark of modern musical fandom in grounded, dirty reality?       This movie’s claim to fame is the use of completely live-singing, detailed in this featurette, something no previous movie musical had attempted to...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

Making Room for Classic Movies

Way back in my film school days, I had an interaction with a favorite cousin whom I had not seen in some time. This opportunity to reconnect saw our first interaction since I had been accepted as a film student, and so he asked me what basically everyone asks me right after I tell them I’m studying film, “So, like what’s your favorite movie, then?”      When approached with this question, at least by associates who are not necessarily film buffs, my default response is usually something I know has been on Netflix in the last year. (Though if I had to pick an answer ... maybe Silver Linings Playbook .) I think this time I said James Cameron’s Titanic . He then had a sort of illuminated reaction and followed up with, “I see, so you like … old movies.”  My response to this was something in the vein of, “Well, yes , but NOOOO …”  Steven Spielberg being a 29-year-old on the set of Jaws     In academic circles, t he demarcation between “c...

REVIEW: COYOTE VS. ACME

    The secret weapon of The Looney Tunes has always been their natural eloquence with meta-textuality. Seriously. Go rewatch "Duck Amuck." It's high art. That trick isn't really new here in a landscape where "self-awareness" is just generally baked into the fabric of most millennial media.      But Coyote vs Acme nonetheless feels cut from a very different cloth.  I don't even know if that's from anything extra this film does so much as what it doesn't do. This movie never feels like it's trying to prove how much smarter it is than the audience. It doesn't feel smug or self-promoting.     Like, it takes a different kind of self-awareness to look at how many times a certain Wile E. Coyote has tried to get his hands around a certain speeding bird and ask if maybe the poor guy, who has literally tried everything under the sun, has just had the odds stacked against him. It takes a certain kind of movie to decide that this dude just needs so...

Are We in Another Golden Age of Musicals?

In early 2017, Variety ran a piece titled “ Will Musicals See a ‘La La Land’ Boost ?” alongside said movie’s victory lap around the box office and critics at large. Justin Paul, who wrote the music for La La Land alongside his partner, Benj Pasek, was optimistic about the doors his movie was opening: “I have to believe that other studios, other producers, would only be encouraged by the impact of ‘La La Land,’ both critically and at the box office.” Their agent, Richard Kraft, shared a similar sentiment. “I think people are growing tired of snark and skepticism and pessimism. [La La Land] hit the zeitgeist for smart and unapologetic optimism. Even in times of strife and conflict, people still fall in love and follow dreams.”  These are the kinds of statements that don’t go unnoticed by a musical nerd who chose to write his semesterly report on Meet Me in St. Louis when all his fellow film students wrote on Woody Allen. Classical musicals had always just been that gateway into...