Skip to main content

The Great Movie Conquest of 2022: A Year in Review


         I recently came across a clip from a lecture that filmmaker extraordinaire, Orson Welles, gave to a class of aspiring filmmakers. The relevant bit has Welles advising his students to not watch so many movies and to allow one's storytelling to be informed by one's own experiences.

    What a time for me to stumble across this bit of counsel ... 

    I wonder if this advice, should we choose to accept it at all, is applicable more to filmmakers than to film critics. My incentive for exposing myself to as many films as possible, even during times when I'm not literally watching a new film a day, is because I want to have a wide base of knowledge for the subject I claim to be an expert in. 

    That said, I have come to observe the limitations of inhaling too much media ... 

    If you haven't heard, I set a goal this year to accelerate my study of film by watching one film I hadn't seen for each day of 2022. What a way to familiarize myself with a range of movies while also forcing myself to try out new brands of film. 

    I tried something like this some years back. That challenge took place over a summer when I was also taking classes (Media Arts History I and II) for my film degree. That challenge took place over 100 days. I once thought this was a long duration of time, I now understand that it's child's play.

    Nothing's ever fun once it becomes a chore. Routine. I found out that much very early on this year. I became so concerned with getting my daily movie out of the way before I went in for work that I would just choose the shortest film on my watch list, or something light that wouldn't demand so much attention. 

    What's more, after committing to watch a new movie every day all year, eventually they all just start to blur together, which defeats the purpose of adding 365 new individual films to your repertoire. (Will someone please remind me what Hannah and Her Sisters was even about? I honestly can't remember.) True literacy is as much about depth of knowledge as it is about breadth, and that's not a process you can just rush. 

    This all to say ... I ended up calling the race with barely over a month to go.

        One might question the rationality of dropping out with only a single lap remaining, and I will have to live with that for the rest of my life, but I also understood that any films I would viewed during the remaining 30 days of the year wouldn't have received the full attention and consideration they deserve.

    While I ultimately dropped out of this game prematurely, some lessons were learned. One that is going to stick with me is that increasing the rate at which I consumed new films does not necessarly increase the rate at which I find good movies. I didn't add a greater sum of ten-star films to my list this year, and I've thought of a number of potential reasons why. 

    It's possible that there are simply fewer ten-star films remaining. This theory doesn't inspire much hope for me. I don't love the possibility that there is a cap to the number of films I can feel unfiltered adoration for, nor that I would encounter them in decreasing frequency as I venture further and further beyond the scope of mainstream film. It can't be that all the good films are all just the films that everyone already knows about.

    I also think back on many of the films currently on my ten-star list, and how many of them did not land on said list at the start. It's common for a film to strike me as "surprisingly good" on a first viewing and only be promoted to "excellent" after I was drawn back for a third or fourth viewing. Sometimes you have to dive into a film a few times before the depths of its genius reveals itself. I'm holding out hope that as I continue to reacquaint myself with many of the films I encountered this year, I'll discover that a few of them were even better than I remembered, and maybe a few of them I will find so prophetic and so finessed in their craft that I'll be baffled that I didn't appreciate them properly the first time around. And this is another reason why I eventually couldn't help but revert back to a schedule of mostly rewatching familiar films.

    The process itself was much more meaningful once I introduced monthly themes to my exploration. I devoted May to watching films with James Stewart and August to catching up on Netflix originals. Focusing my viewings like his helped keep my intellectual pursuits in mind and find patterns between films. That isn't to say that making time for new movies ever became less of a chore, but I had a lot more to say each for my monthly reports once I had an overriding motif to direct my viewing. Of course, identifying new themes became its own box to check off, which is partly why I wasn't able to sustain the trend during those last crucial months.

    The biggest takeaway is something I probably could have foreseen beforehand but needed firsthand experience to appreciate: no one will ever see enough films. The medium has been around for over a hundred years now and new films are being released every day all around the world. I could follow this challenge for several years and I would never get anywhere close to seeing all the films ever made. I might not even get close to seeing all the important films ever made.

Charles Lane's Sidewalk Stories (1989)
    That honestly makes me a little sad. I know there are a lot of artists out there praying that someone will discover their film. Even after a filmmaker has gone through the arduous process of even making a film to begin with, studios and streaming services are constantly making decisions about what content they will support and what will be lost to the oblivion. The Youtube channel The Take recently did a piece on the crisis of vanishing content that highlights the urgency of the situation. There are a lot of meaningful films already out there that don't deserve to be lost to time. Part of my motivation behind this fool's errand was to scout out as many of these films as I could. I'm hoping that even as I return for a more manageable schedule, I will still be on the lookout for films that deserve some promotion, and I hope that likeminded film-lovers will take up the torch.

   While I haven't seen every film worth viewing, I am ready to resume a less strenuous timetable for consuming new films. The Great Movie Conquest of 2022 has fulfilled its function, and I am ready to restrategize how I go about becoming a more literate film critic. I'll get to decide what that looks like in practice over the next few weeks, but for now I'm going to spend a lot of time rewatching 150-minute movies that I haven't had time for since last December.

            --The Professor


    

    Anyways, this ordeal wouldn't be complete without a few top ten lists, so we're going to do that now: 


10 Favorite Movies From This Challenge

Top Row: Sliding Doors (1998), Central Station (1998), Captains Courageous (1937), CODA (2021), Ordinary People (1980)

Bottom Row: The Banshees of Inisherin (2022), Ben is Back (2018), Belle (2021), Ikiru (1952), Prisoners (2013)


10 Movies I Would Never Have Seen Without This Challenge

Top Row: Hell's Kitchen (1939), Cadillac Man (1990), All or Nothing (2002), My Furher (2007), Sea Prince and the Fire Child (1981) 

Bottom Row: The Wild Swans (1977), Farewell My Lady (1956), Zebraman (2004), Monos (2019), They Don't Wear Black Tie (1981)


10 Movies You Can't Believe It Took Me this Long to See


Top Row: District 9 (2009), City of God (2002), American Psycho (2000), The Green Mile (1999), Unbreakable (2000)

Bottom Row: Seven Samurai (1954), Pulp Fiction (1994), Baby Driver (2017), Braveheart (1995), Shaun of the Dead (2004)


Every Film Watched This Year:

  1. His People
  2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  3. The Mortal Storm
  4. Begin Again
  5. Batman
  6. Alien Resurrection
  7. Grand Hotel
  8. Hans Christian Andersen
  9. Room for One More
  10. Promising Young Woman
  11. Braveheart
  12. Always Be My Maybe
  13. Delightfully Dangerous
  14. The Cider House Rules
  15. Belle
  16. Pressure Point
  17. Scream
  18. Armageddon
  19. The Wild Swans
  20. RoboCop
  21. I Am Sam
  22. Children of the Corn
  23. Tombstone
  24. The Secret Life of Pets
  25. The Fisher King
  26. Mr. Robinson Crusoe
  27. All the Right Moves
  28. Beyond the Moon
  29. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  30. Salem's Lot
  31. The Tender Bar
  32. Australia
  33. Journey to Italy
  34. Shark Tale
  35. Irma la Douce
  36. I Shot Jesse James
  37. Abominable
  38. Prisoners
  39. The Exorcist
  40. The Social Dilemma
  41. Easy A
  42. An Officer and a Gentleman
  43. World War Z
  44. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  45. When Harry Met Sally...
  46. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
  47. Lake Placid
  48. Hollow Man
  49. The Power of the Dog
  50. The Bravados
  51. Designing Woman
  52. Rosemary's Baby
  53. The Coward
  54. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  55. tick, tick...BOOM!
  56. The House with a Clock in Its Walls
  57. Cyrano
  58. The King of Kings
  59. Ride Your Wave
  60. A Fish Called Wanda
  61. Guest in the House
  62. About Time
  63. Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
  64. Hell's Kitchen
  65. American Playhouse: Sunday in the Park with George
  66. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
  67. Diner
  68. Brute Force
  69. The Green Mile
  70. Turning Red
  71. Baby Driver
  72. Moby Dick
  73. Empire of the Sun
  74. Monos
  75. Vertical Limit
  76. The More the Merrier
  77. Mein Furher
  78. CODA
  79. Dangerous Crossing
  80. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
  81. Nightmare Alley
  82. Splendor in the Grass
  83. Grizzly Man
  84. Theodora Goes Wild
  85. The Lost City
  86. Man of La Mancha
  87. Peter Pan
  88. Free Guy
  89. Chronicle
  90. Shane
  91. Death on the Nile
  92. The Little Mermaid
  93. Take Me Out to the Ball Game
  94. Seven Samurai
  95. (500) Days of Summer
  96. Ingrid Goes West
  97. Sweet Charity
  98. Juno
  99. Ikiru
  100. Soylent Green
  101. Princess Mononoke
  102. Unbreakable
  103. Sea Prince and the Fire Child
  104. Criss Cross
  105. Pleasantville
  106. After the Storm
  107. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
  108. Father Stu
  109. Wanda
  110. My Dream Is Yours
  111. All or Nothing
  112. Nanook of the North
  113. Tenet
  114. The Hurricane
  115. Tokyo Story
  116. Single White Female
  117. Hannah and Her Sisters
  118. The Other Woman
  119. Zebraman
  120. Kill!
  121. Under the Tuscan Sun
  122. The Bad Guys
  123. Broken Arrow
  124. The Hollars
  125. Five Easy Pieces
  126. Love Affair
  127. St. Vincent
  128. The Flight of the Phoenix
  129. Blinded by the Light
  130. Ben-Hur
  131. Dazed and Confused
  132. Sliding Doors
  133. Take Her, She's Mine
  134. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  135. No Highway in the Sky
  136. Clouds
  137. Captains Courageous
  138. How to Murder Your Wife
  139. Winchester '73
  140. Corpse Bride
  141. Breaking Away
  142. Frankenstein
  143. Without Love
  144. Girl, Interrupted
  145. The Glenn Miller Story
  146. Yojimbo
  147. Postcards from the Edge
  148. Bell Book and Candle
  149. Libeled Lady
  150. Monster's Ball
  151. Raging Bull
  152. Big Eyes
  153. The Omega Man
  154. The Lure
  155. Ordinary People
  156. The Letter
  157. Sunshine Cleaning
  158. Network
  159. Mission: Impossible
  160. Boys' Night Out
  161. Jurassic World: Dominion
  162. The Two Mrs. Carrolls
  163. High and Low
  164. The Fighter
  165. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
  166. Limitless
  167. The Scarlet Letter
  168. Office Space
  169. Marathon Man
  170. The Wings of Eagles
  171. Loving
  172. Black Gold
  173. Ghost World
  174. The Golem
  175. Elvis
  176. Too Late for Tears
  177. The River
  178. The Big Sick
  179. That Hamilton Woman
  180. Enemy of the State
  181. Blackboard Jungle
  182. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
  183. Krull
  184. Period of Adjustment
  185. Peninsula
  186. Tora! Tora! Tora!
  187. The Men Who Stare at Goats
  188. Red Sonja
  189. Defiance
  190. On Moonlight Bay
  191. Masters of the Universe
  192. At Eternity's Gate
  193. Imitation of Life
  194. Most Dangerous Game
  195. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
  196. Fences
  197. The Last Laugh
  198. The Dark Crystal
  199. Sing Street
  200. Viva Las Vegas
  201. Labor Day
  202. The Lord of the Rings
  203. Nope
  204. Wall Street
  205. Bright Eyes
  206. Antwone Fisher
  207. Witness for the Prosecution
  208. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
  209. Return to Oz
  210. Bohemian Rhapsody
  211. On the Beach
  212. A Letter to Three Wives
  213. Eternals
  214. The Humpbacked Horse
  215. The Adam Project
  216. Hooper
  217. Pulp Fiction
  218. Elmer Gantry
  219. Lonesome
  220. Passing
  221. The Wages of Fear
  222. Deadpool
  223. Blood on the Moon
  224. Extraction
  225. A Fistful of Dollars
  226. The Sea Beast
  227. Licorice Pizza
  228. Ivanhoe
  229. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
  230. Working Girl
  231. The Talented Mr. Ripley
  232. Lolita
  233. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
  234. Key Largo
  235. Beasts of No Nation
  236. Shaun of the Dead
  237. The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
  238. Samaritan
  239. The Irishman
  240. The Big Sleep
  241. The Big Short
  242. The Postman Always Rings Twice
  243. City of God
  244. Lightyear
  245. Feet First
  246. Sidewalk Stories
  247. Mister Roberts
  248. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  249. Central do Brasil
  250. Saboteur
  251. Pinocchio
  252. Salem's Lot
  253. Fantastic Voyage
  254. Damn Yankees
  255. Erin Brockovich
  256. The Thing
  257. Bye Bye Brasil
  258. Sorry to Bother You
  259. Now, Voyager
  260. 50/50
  261. Nausica of the Valley of the Wind
  262. Blood Diamond
  263. They Don't Wear Black-Tie
  264. Cadillac Man
  265. Paris Blues
  266. King Richard
  267. Deliverance
  268. Dick Johnson Is Dead
  269. The Bad and the Beautiful
  270. I.Q.
  271. Thor: Love and Thunder
  272. Jagga Jasoos
  273. The Perfect Storm
  274. San Francisco
  275. Rodan
  276. Big Fish & Begonia
  277. American Psycho
  278. It Happened on Fifth Avenue
  279. The Day the Earth Stood Still
  280. Amsterdam
  281. That's Entertainment!
  282. Original Cast Album: Company
  283. Mr. & Mrs. Smith
  284. Sleepy Hollow
  285. Misery
  286. The Idle Class
  287. The 40 Year Old Virgin
  288. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  289. Hocus Pocus 2
  290. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  291. Uncharted
  292. Ben Is Back
  293. The Savages
  294. Harper
  295. Jackie Brown
  296. Cat's Eye
  297. Dracula Untold
  298. The American President
  299. The Darjeeling Limited
  300. Futureworld
  301. District 9
  302. Nothing to Lose
  303. Moonfall
  304. Fright Night
  305. DC League of Super-Pets
  306. The Little Mermaid
  307. Here Comes Mr. Jordan
  308. The Banshees of Inisherin
  309. The Adventurer
  310. The Pelican Brief
  311. Fatherhood
  312. Reflections in a Golden Eye
  313. Titan A.E.
  314. Till the End of Time
  315. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  316. Swingers
  317. A Tale of Two Cities
  318. Up in the Air
  319. Training Day
  320. Good-bye, My Lady
  321. Missing Link
  322. Disenchanted
  323. Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
  324. The Ladykillers
  325. Topper
  326. Rent
  327. Strange World
  328. My Father's Dragon
  329. The Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special
  330. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The Fall Guy

     Someone show me another business as enthusiastic for its own self-deprecation as Hollywood.      From affectionate self-parodies like Singin' in the Rain to darker reflections of the movie business like Sunset Boulevard , Hollywood has kind of built its empire on ridicule of itself. And why wouldn't it? Who wouldn't want to pay admission to feel like they're in on the secret: that movie magic is just smoke and mirrors? That silver screen titans actually have the most fragile egos?       But these are not revelations, and I don't think they are intended to be. Hollywood doesn't really care about displaying its own pettiness and internal rot because it knows that all just makes for good entertainment.  A t some point, this all stops feeling like a joke that we, the audience, are in on. At some point, it all stops feeling less like a confession and more like gloating. At what point, then, does the joke turn on us, the enablers of this cesspool whose claim to

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so. It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artistic merit of a movie are not unknowable. There are patterns and touchstones that

REVIEW: All Together Now

The unceasing search for new acting talent to mine continues with Netflix's new film,  All Together Now, which premiered this week on the service. This film features Moana alum Auli'i Cravalho as Amber Appleton, a bright but underprivileged high schooler with high aspirations. Netflix's new film plays like a trial run for Cravalho to see if this Disney starlet can lead a live-action film outside the Disney umbrella. Cravalho would need to play against a slightly stronger narrative backbone for us to know for sure, but early signs are promising.  All Together Now follows Amber Appleton, a musically talented teen overflowing with love for her classmates, her coworkers, and her community. Amber reads like George Bailey reincarnated as a high school girl, throwing herself into any opportunity to better the world around her, like hosting her high school's annual for benefit Variety Show. But Amber's boundless optimism conceals an impoverished home life. She and her moth

The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of Clash of the Titans

  Anyone else remember the year we spent wondering if we would ever again see a movie that wasn't coming out in 3D?      T hat surge in 3D films in the early months of 2010 led to a number of questionable executive decisions. We saw a lot of films envisioned as standard film experiences refitted into the 3D format at the eleventh hour. In the ten years since, 3D stopped being profitable because audiences quickly learned the difference between a film that was designed with the 3D experience in mind and the brazen imitators . Perhaps the most notorious victim of this trend was the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans .        Why am I suddenly so obsessed with the fallout of a film gone from the public consciousness ten years now? Maybe it's me recently finishing the first season of  Blood of Zeus  on Netflix and seeing so clearly what  Clash of the Titans  very nearly was. Maybe it's my  evolving thoughts on the Percy Jackson movies  and the forthcoming Disney+ series inevit

American Beauty is Bad for your Soul

  The 1990s was a relatively stable period of time in American history. We weren’t scared of the communists or the nuclear bomb, and social unrest for the most part took the decade off. The white-picket fence ideal was as accessible as it had ever been for most Americans. Domesticity was commonplace, mundane even, and we had time to think about things like the superficiality of modern living. It's in an environment like this that a movie like Sam Mendes' 1999 film American Beauty can not only be made but also find overwhelming success. In 1999 this film was praised for its bold and honest insight into American suburban life. The Detroit News Film Critic called this film “a rare and felicitous movie that brings together a writer, director and company perfectly matched in intelligence and sense of purpose” and Variety hailed it as “a real American original.” The film premiered to only a select number of screens, but upon its smashing success was upgraded to

REVIEW: ONWARD

The Walt Disney Company as a whole seems to be in constant danger of being overtaken by its own cannibalistic tendency--cashing in on the successes of their past hits at the expense of creating the kinds of stories that merited these reimaginings to begin with. Pixar, coming fresh off a decade marked by a deluge of sequels, is certainly susceptible to this pattern as well. Though movies like Inside Out and Coco have helped breathe necessary life into the studio, audiences invested in the creative lifeblood of the studio should take note when an opportunity comes for either Disney or Pixar animation to flex their creative muscles. This year we'll have three such opportunities between the two studios. [EDIT: Okay, maybe not. Thanks, Corona.] The first of these, ONWARD directed by Dan Scanlon, opens this weekend and paints a hopeful picture of a future where Pixar allows empathetic and novel storytelling to guide its output. The film imagines a world where fantasy creatur

REVIEW: Belfast

     I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the world needs more black and white movies.      The latest to answer the call is Kenneth Branagh with his  semi-autobiographical film, Belfast . The film follows Buddy, the audience-insert character, as he grows up in the streets of Belfast, Ireland in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Though Buddy and his family thrive on these familiar streets, communal turmoil leads to organized violence that throws Buddy's life into disarray. What's a family to do? On the one hand, the father recognizes that a warzone is no place for a family. But to the mother, even the turmoil of her community's civil war feels safer than the world out there. Memory feels safer than maturation.      As these films often go, the plot is drifting and episodic yet always manages to hold one's focus. Unbrushed authenticity is a hard thing to put to film, and a film aiming for just that always walks a fine line between avant-garde and just plain

The Great Movie Conquest of 2022 - January

This fool's errand is the fruition of an idea I've wanted to try out for years now but have always talked myself out of. Watching a new movie a day for one full year is a bit of a challenge for a number of reasons, not in the least of which being that I'm the kind of guy who likes to revisit favorites. As a film lover, I'm prone to expanding my circle and watching films I haven't seen before, I've just never watched a new film every day for a year. So why am I going to attempt to pull that off at all, and why am I going to attempt it now? I've put off a yearlong commitment because it just felt like too much to bite off. One such time, actually, was right when I first premiered this blog. You know ... the start of 2020? The year where we had nothing to do but watch Netflix all day? Time makes fools of us all, I guess. I doubt it's ever going to be easier to pull off such a feat, so why not now?       Mostly, though, I really just want to help enliven my

Nights of Cabiria: What IS Cinema?

  So here’s some light table talk … what is cinema? What is it for ?       On the one hand, film is the perfect medium to capture life as it really is. With the roll of the camera, you can do what painters and sculptors had been trying to do for centuries and record the sights and sounds of a place exactly as they are. On the other hand, film is the perfect medium for dreaming. Is there any other place besides the movies where the human heart is so unfettered, so open to fantasy? If you’ve studied film formally, this is probably one of the first discussions you had in your Intro to Film theory course, in a class that may have forced you to read about Dziga Vertov and his theory about film and the Kino-eye (another day, another day …)      In some ways, we could use basically any of thousands of cinematic works to jumpstart this discussion, but I have a particular film in mind. The lens I want to explore this idea through today is not only a strong example of strong cinematic cra

Mamma Mia: Musicals Deserve Better

       Earlier this week, Variety ran a piece speculating on the future of musicals and the roles they may play in helping a post-corona theater business bounce back. After all, this year is impressively stacked with musicals. In addition to last month's fantastic "In the Heights," we've got a half dozen or so musicals slated for theatrical release. Musical master, Lin Manuel-Miranda expresses optimism about the future of musicals, declaring “[While it] hasn’t always been the case, the movie musical is now alive and well.”      I'm always hopeful for the return of the genre, but I don't know if I share Lin's confidence that the world is ready to take musicals seriously. Not when a triumph like "In the Heights" plays to such a small audience. (Curse thee, "FRIENDS Reunion," for making everyone renew their HBO Max subscription two weeks before In the Heights hits theaters.) The narrative of “stop overthinking it, it’s just a musical,”