Skip to main content

The Great Movie Conquest of 2022: May


    Welcome back to The Professor's desperate campaign to watch every film he should have seen in film school. As I mentioned last time, we'll be looking specially at James Stewart this month.

Your Intro to James Stewart 

      Back when I was teaching labs for TMA 102, I would introduce James Stewart to my students as "basically the Tom Hanks of the 1940s and 50s," and they instantly knew what I meant. Indeed, Stewart made his mark playing characters who were extraordinarily likeable and extraordinarily virtuous. Many of his most iconic roles come through his films with Frank Capra, including It's a Wonderful Life, You Can't Take it With You, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But he was also a favorite of directors like Alfred Hitchcock and Anthony Mann, both of whom would sometimes lean into this aspect of his star persona and sometimes subvert it. 

    Stewart collected two Oscars during his career. One for his performance in The Philadelphia Story (1940) and an honorary Oscar in 1984 "For his fifty years of memorable performances, for his high ideals both on and off the screen, with respect and affection of his colleagues."

    One of Stewart's signature strengths was making idealism and gentility look like the most reasonable characteristics a person could possess. His contemporaries, like Cary Grant or John Wayne, valorized a more roguish leading man quality, which makes the soft-spoken politeness seem all the more striking. Stewart would have the chance to play opposite both Grant and Wayne, and they, like many of his coworkers, spoke highly of Stewart's character. 


Films I Watched With James Stewart

    Of the films I caught this month, the film that probably most floated on Stewart's persona was 1950's Broken Arrow, a fascinating glimpse into the 1950s brand of combatting racism. I think that when most modern viewers think about Native Americans and Westerns, they mostly think of the Cowboy vs Indian story. While you definitely had a lot of those, even classical Hollywood would sometimes use the Western genre to tell stories that were sympathetic to Native Americans. Mind you, they weren't necessarily perfect pictures of social equality. Even here most of the Apache characters were in fact portrayed by white actors. But they were trying, I guess ...

    This is relevant because Broken Arrow presents Stewart's character as an advocate for peace between the warring Apache tribe and the white settlers. His first notable action is treating the wounds of an injured Apache boy, and he spends the reminder of the film learning the customs and language of the tribe while trying to curb the aggression of the white settlers. James Stewart is exactly the kind of person one would cast for an apostle of peace.

   No Highway in the Sky saw Stewart bring a certain insecurity that I don't generally associate with him. Most the time he's quiet and unassuming, yes, but not necessarily lacking in confidence or borderline awkward, which makes this film's portrait of Stewart at once novel and familiar. The story saw him as a scientist who anticipates that the unique design of the airplane on which he is boarded will cause it to malfunction midflight. His claim is a little out there, but he gradually finds allies who are willing to trust him. I don't know. Probably because he's James Stewart.

   Stewart started to age out of Hollywood around the 1970s, when the cinematic anti-hero was on the rise and films started to revel in moral ambiguity. As I dig further into Stewart's filmography, I find myself more and more grateful that film has icons like him, people who make moral rightness seem like an aspiration. I'm certain the real James Stewart had his character flaws, but they were for him to wrestle with. The James Stewart who lit up the screen with his idealism and courage, we owe him a lot.


Films I Watched that Didn't Necessarily Have James Stewart

    You won't find my one review this month among this month's harvest. While Stranger Things is a force of nature in the pop culture world, as a television series it doesn't technically meet the conditions of this challenge. But I reviewed the first set of season 4 episodes anyways. 

    I was a bit late to the game with both of my theater trips this month, so I opted to not put in the time to formally review them, but while we're here ... 

    I almost felt obligated to give The Bad Guys a viewing after coming off my Megamind essay, an essay in which I highlighted the uphill battle animated films face. That said, I considered it a worthwhile investment. Heist films aren't really my forte (though I did recently discover that I like Baby Driver), but I liked the film taking a Zootopia-esque approach to the genre. And I've said it before (no, really, I said it in my review of The One and Only Ivan), but Sam Rockwell really has a talent for voice-acting. 

    I was totally here for Marvel making a horror film, but no part of me found Wanda's storyline in "Multiverse of Madness" a logical progression of her character, and for that I can't feel anything for the film but irritation. Maybe I'll get into it some other time ... 

    I actually recently had a conversation with a friend about Captains Courageous, the 1937 version, which I saw this month. That's Spencer Tracy you see in the picture teaching Freddie Bartholemew's "Harvey" how to man the fishing boat which takes him on after falling overboard from his own boat. The two of them build a relationship that moved me deeply. Anyone who's read my essay on A Perfect World and its presentation of intergenerational male affection will likely see a throughline between the two films.

    The film is based on a novel by Rudyard Kipling and even saw Tracy win an Oscar for actor in a leading role, yet my friend and I both remarked on a how this film, and many others like, fly completely under the radar. In a world where a film from the 1990s is considered vintage, what chance does a movie like this have at being discovered or celebrated? A lot of what I want to do with this blog is give coverage to films that deserve attention but feel out of reach toward mainstream audiences. It's admittedly an uphill battle, and I can't even say for certain I'm doing enough in that regard, but there are just way too many gems out there for me to feel comfortable writing only about Disney remakes. 

    A couple of other films deserve mention, I suppose. I really enjoyed Ben-Hur and Sliding Doors, and I'm haunted by the borderline necrophilia that plagued Branagh's "Frankenstein" adaptation. 

Looking Forward


    The verdict is out, and this month I will be centering my studies on the works of the irreplaceable Amy Adams. (Watch this be the month I finally watch Justice League.) I've always admired Adams for the way she demonstrates how light and intellect can coexist in one space at the same time so effortlessly, and I look forward to exploring her filmography even further.

    Meanwhile I'll confess I have yet to select options for a theme for July, but I'll try to get on that. Check back on my blog's Facebook page for updates. 

    As always, thanks for reading, and congratulations on making it almost halfway through the year. 

            ---The Professor


May we all aspire to have the class of Shirley MacLaine telling Meryl Streep she is good enough to play Carrie Fisher

May's Harvest

Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)

The Bad Guys (2022)

Broken Arrow (1950)

The Hollars (2016)

Five Easy Pieces (1970)

Love Affair (1936)

St. Vincent (2014)

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)

Blinded by the Light (2019)

Ben-Hur (1959)

Dazed and Confused (1993)

Sliding Doors (1998)

Take Her, She's Mine (1963)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

No Highway in the Sky (1951)

Clouds (2020)

Captains Courageous (1937)

How to Murder Your Wife (1965)

Winchester '73 (1950)

Corpse Bride (2005)

Breaking Away (1979)

Without Love (1945)

Girl, Interrupted (1999)

The Glen Miller Story (1954)

Yojimbo (1961)

Postcards from the Edge (1990)

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

Bell, Book, and Candle (1958)

Libeled Lady (1936)

Monster's Ball (2001)

Raging Bull (1980)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"What Are Happy Endings For Anyway?" (II) - The Docks of New York

Yes, fellas. Your calendar is correct. We are, in fact, 10 years out from La La Land .          My main point of interest in Damien Chazelle’s groundbreaking 2016 musical has historically been its role in helping set off the sort of stealth renaissance of musicals we’ve been experiencing the last ten years where we all try to see how big we can make the genre before anyone notices. Chazelle explained at the time , “Now more than ever we need hope and romance on the screen, and I think there’s something about musicals that just get at something that only movies can do. That idea of movies as a dreamland, movies as the language of our dreams and movies as a way of expressing a world in which you break into song, that emotions can violate the rules of reality.”      The hook for this film, though, is very much the film’s ultimate rejection of the traditional happy ending for which musicals are so well known. That is the reason why...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: 10 Movie Theater Experiences That Changed Me

   So, January 2012: Disney is rereleasing their 1991 animated masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast into theaters, and in 3D format, and I'm able to coerce a friend into seeing it with me.       This was a big deal because, as with most of the Disney movies we'd call "classic," Beauty and the Beast had its day in theaters before my time, and this was an opportunity to experience the movie in its proper element, and maybe imagine what it would have been when the legendary tunes by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken graced the public for the first time.     My larger circle was none-too-impressed with my choice. Didn't I know that the movie was already on DVD? That I could just watch it anytime in the comfort of my own home without having to pay for another ticket? How could I be so careless with my finances? (Incidentally, many of these same friends would pay top-dollar to see the Beauty and the Beast remake five years later on opening weekend ...)  ...

We're Back! a Dinosaur's Story - Getting Lost in the "Last Frontier of Imagination"

Last month, Variety ran a piece observing, “Hollywood Can’t Survive Without Animation. So Why Won’t the Industry Respect It?” by Clayton Davis, who reported , “In the nearly five decades that domestic grosses have been tracked, an animated film has finished the year as the No. 1 release just seven times, beginning with Disney’s 'Aladdin' in 1992. Now the medium is having an unprecedented run, with 'Inside Out 2' and 'Zootopia 2' topping the last two calendar years (a first for animated movies to lead the box office for two consecutive years) and the latter becoming the highest-grossing animated film ever domestically. 'The Super Mario Galaxy Movie' is leading 2026 so far and is the only film to cross $1 billion. Setting aside the 2020 and 2021 pandemic seasons, which emptied theaters of family films, animated features have made up about 20% of the year’s 10 top-grossing releases over the past decade. And yet, the artists who make these movies have rarely...

REVIEW: COYOTE VS. ACME

    The secret weapon of The Looney Tunes has always been their natural eloquence with meta-textuality. Seriously. Go rewatch "Duck Amuck." It's high art. That trick isn't really new here in a landscape where "self-awareness" is just generally baked into the fabric of most millennial media.      But Coyote vs Acme nonetheless feels cut from a very different cloth.  I don't even know if that's from anything extra this film does so much as what it doesn't do. This movie never feels like it's trying to prove how much smarter it is than the audience. It doesn't feel smug or self-promoting.     Like, it takes a different kind of self-awareness to look at how many times a certain Wile E. Coyote has tried to get his hands around a certain speeding bird and ask if maybe the poor guy, who has literally tried everything under the sun, has just had the odds stacked against him. It takes a certain kind of movie to decide that this dude just needs so...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

REVIEW: Jungle Cruise

  Disney has relied on branding for their box-office since Walt himself started using fairy-tales as a launching pad. Flash forward 80 years, and the branding wars have escalated not just within the Disney company, but the industry all around. Disney's Jungle Cruise walks the line between original and remix, and not just because it's adapted from a theme-park ride. This film, a pastiche of adventure flicks over the last 60 years, absorbs the best from its sources of inspiration but falls just short of congealing them into something truly groundbreaking. Tales a mythical tree of life have beckoned explorers since it bloomed into legend hundreds of years ago. This catches the interest of explorer Lily Houghton who makes it her mission to find the tree, first to distribute its gifts to the world and second to keep it from the hands of less benevolent seekers. Her success hinges on joining forces with the gruff Frank Wolff. He'll ferry Lily and her brother, McGregor, across th...

Making Room for Classic Movies

Way back in my film school days, I had an interaction with a favorite cousin whom I had not seen in some time. This opportunity to reconnect saw our first interaction since I had been accepted as a film student, and so he asked me what basically everyone asks me right after I tell them I’m studying film, “So, like what’s your favorite movie, then?”      When approached with this question, at least by associates who are not necessarily film buffs, my default response is usually something I know has been on Netflix in the last year. (Though if I had to pick an answer ... maybe Silver Linings Playbook .) I think this time I said James Cameron’s Titanic . He then had a sort of illuminated reaction and followed up with, “I see, so you like … old movies.”  My response to this was something in the vein of, “Well, yes , but NOOOO …”  Steven Spielberg being a 29-year-old on the set of Jaws     In academic circles, t he demarcation between “c...

Do You Hear the People Sing?: "Les Miserables" and the Untrained Singer

          Perhaps no film genre is as neglected in the 21 st century as the musical. With rare exception, the o nly offerings we get are the occasional Disney film, the occasional remake of a Disney film, and adaptations of Broadway stage shows. When we are graced with a proper musical film, the demand is high among musical fans for optimum musical performance, and when a musical film doesn’t deliver this, these fans are unforgiving.  From the moment talking was introduced in cinema, the musical film has been a gathering place where vocal demigods assemble in kaleidoscopic dance numbers in a whirl of cinematic ecstasy too fantastical for this world. What motivation, then, could Tom Hooper possibly have for tethering this landmark of modern musical fandom in grounded, dirty reality?       This movie’s claim to fame is the use of completely live-singing, detailed in this featurette, something no previous movie musical had attempted to...

REVIEW: Star Wars - The Mandalorian and Grogu

      I haven't historically considered myself a "Star Wars" kid. And to be clear, I take no pride in saying that or anything. I respect the property and what it's given to pop culture.      But I do feel like it's worth mentioning in this review that I didn't really go into Jon Favreu's The Mandalorian and Grogu thinking I had much of what I'd call nostalgia for this movie to exploit.       And yet watching this movie, I found myself hearkening back to the things about Star Wars that caught my attention as a kid. For me, that was the gladiator-style match in "Attack of the Clones." This film offers quite a few roller-coasters along those lines. And as far as the creature designs go for the monsters in these arenas, they were quite good. I wasn't trying too hard to anticipate which were computer-generated and which were puppeted, but the aesthetics of both the Jim Henson era and the Spielberg era sat very well here in this vessel....

Are We in Another Golden Age of Musicals?

In early 2017, Variety ran a piece titled “ Will Musicals See a ‘La La Land’ Boost ?” alongside said movie’s victory lap around the box office and critics at large. Justin Paul, who wrote the music for La La Land alongside his partner, Benj Pasek, was optimistic about the doors his movie was opening: “I have to believe that other studios, other producers, would only be encouraged by the impact of ‘La La Land,’ both critically and at the box office.” Their agent, Richard Kraft, shared a similar sentiment. “I think people are growing tired of snark and skepticism and pessimism. [La La Land] hit the zeitgeist for smart and unapologetic optimism. Even in times of strife and conflict, people still fall in love and follow dreams.”  These are the kinds of statements that don’t go unnoticed by a musical nerd who chose to write his semesterly report on Meet Me in St. Louis when all his fellow film students wrote on Woody Allen. Classical musicals had always just been that gateway into...