Skip to main content

REVIEW: SCARLET

    There isn't a story on the books that can't somehow trace its genealogy to the works of William Shakespeare. Such is the nature of inspiration and archetype. 

    But the latest film from anime auteur, Mamoru Hosoda, is almost an adaptation of, rather than a homage to, Shakespeare's Hamlet, carrying over character names and even a few iconic lines. Yet it's not what Scarlet borrows from Shakespeare that gives the story its weight, but what it adds--and I'm not just talking about the giant thunder dragon in the sky.

    The Prince of Denmark in this story is reimagined as Princess Scarlet. This film sees her failing in her quest to avenge her father and being doomed to wander in some sort of desolate afterlife. Her only consolation is the idea that she might find her treacherous uncle somewhere in this wasteland and see her vengeance fulfilled in this world. But her quest sees her crossing paths with someone else, a medic from a future time named Hijiri. Though his world also knows violence and hurt, his mission in death, as it was in life, is to heal and restore. She can't see what someone like him could teach someone like her, but if she could open her eyes to a new way of seeing the world, then even the realm of the dead could give her a new way of living.

    This film's animation blends more traditional anime technique with contemporary digital tools, and I found the overall result mixed. This format really helped bring to life the landscapes or the larger set pieces, like the aforementioned thunder dragon, but the character animation somehow wound up more fluid and more rigid. It may take another few turns in the washing machine for the effect to really make the most of itself. Though, the traditionalist in me would also be fine if those developments just confined themselves to the backdrop--and left the character animation alone. 

    And the audience's experience makes the most out of the liberation afforded by animated canvas. This story takes place in a dreamlike afterlife where it feels like almost anything goes. This is, for example, a film where our protagonist can listen to her friend sing a campfire song and she'll have an Alice in Wonderland experience where she'll imagine falling through the fire until she imagines herself at a street party dancing in what I assume is contemporary Tokyo. 

    And the swiftness with which this stage transforms is where I imagine this movie is going to lose some viewers. The walls and ceiling are barely solid in this space. But I myself did not feel like this narratively liquidity pushed me out of my comfort zone anymore than something like Spirited Away: it's anime, folks--know the territory.

    Scarlet's conviction to avenge her father turns this princess into a battle maiden who feels far outside what we've seen from Hosoda's larger filmography. (I'll admit I'm not as familiar with Digimon, but I'll take a gamble here.) And perhaps it was Hosoda's intention to reflect her state of mind in the frantic pacing of some of the earlier scenes where, like our protagonist, we feel almost dehydrated with bloodlust. 

    While this interplay winds up being fairly one-note in the character dialogue, the film's real discussion ripples out a little wider than all that. Scarlet wonders at one point that if she had not been born into a time or a world of war, would darkness have consumed her heart? And would the time that Hijiri knows be flushed with this same violence? Where did the world give itself over to hatred? Does it matter? And does a person really have it in them to step off that trajectory?

    The film dares to imagine that Scarlet can cleanse her bloodlust in the afterlife and somehow cure her ancient world of all the hate and wars that will follow in the centuries to come. And in that fashion, it allows the viewer to imagine that cleansing their hate here in the thralls of storytelling can heal the world offscreen of its rot as well. 

    And this is also where the Hamlet connection makes the story feel like more than just a high-concept book report. This pilgrimage to the original story of vengeance and what it means to be human has us imagine that we can tap into that most elemental part of the collective human psyche, that we can identify that base genome which makes us vengeful creatures who are only capable of afflicting more destruction into the world, and actually do better when the lights come back on and we return to the land of the living.

    This winds up being one of the bolder promises that I've seen a film make recently. It possibly this same tenacity that made The Academy get cold feet when reviewing Wicked: For Good. (And, no, I'm not letting that go.) Some will say a film's business is to observe or reflect the mess, but never imagine a way out of it. Yet when it comes to this artform and its capacity to show us a better world, what can we say but, "To thine own self, be true."

        --The Professor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thawing Disney's Frozen Heart

  As a millennial Disney fan and film student in utero, I often thought about what it would have been like to be there when Aladdin or The Little Mermaid , or even “Snow White” or The Jungle Book , premiered to the culture. It’s one thing to grow up and realize you have a piece of film history with you here in your living room. It’s another to get to watch the culture transform as it engages for the first time with something  And I have this envy for a great many cinematic works. Like, what I would give to go back to 1946 and tell those losers who dismissed It's a Wonderful Life how they had no idea what they were sleeping on. But the Disney canon’s place within the culture is also specific. Their commitment to delivering hopeful stories to an audience that believes itself beyond such frailties as faith or kindness is unparalleled, and that makes their contributions worth studying and celebrating. And so I didn’t take it for granted during that period in late 2013/early ...

The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of Clash of the Titans

  Anyone else remember the year we spent wondering if we would ever again see a movie that wasn't coming out in 3D?      T hat surge in 3D films in the early months of 2010 led to a number of questionable executive decisions. We saw a lot of films envisioned as standard film experiences refitted into the 3D format at the eleventh hour. In the ten years since, 3D stopped being profitable because audiences quickly learned the difference between a film that was designed with the 3D experience in mind and the brazen imitators . Perhaps the most notorious victim of this trend was the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans .        Why am I suddenly so obsessed with the fallout of a film gone from the public consciousness ten years now? Maybe it's me recently finishing the first season of  Blood of Zeus  on Netflix and seeing so clearly what  Clash of the Titans  very nearly was. Maybe it's my  evolving thoughts on the Percy Jacks...

REVIEW: Supergirl

      Some will say, "We don't need another edgy superhero!" But that's not what makes the utter mediocrity of DC's new Supergirl so devastating. People were saying "We don't need another X superhero" since 2012, and the post-Infinity saga stupor we've slogged through was not triggered by piling one-too-many superheroes onto the camel's back.     The Flash sucked because its perversion of the butterfly effect theory was convoluted and ham-fisted. Black Adam sucked because nobody on that film knew what a moral dilemma actually looks like. "Love and Thunder" sucked because, despite what everyone thought in 2017, Waititi's style only barely worked in "Ragnarok" and was not going to work in a script which feels like it was farted out half-past midnight.     Supergirl had none of those issues. The real tragedy of Supergirl is that it so easily could have worked.     Drifting around the universe has mostly worked for Sup...

Some Much Needed Love for Megamind

    Following this year's Oscars ceremony, filmmakers Phil Lord and Chris Miller, directors of The Lego Movie , penned an op-ed for Variety bemoaning the stigma around animated films. They report taking issue with Naomi Scott, one of the presenters for best animated film, saying that animated films are some of the most formative experiences a kid has, and that kids tend to watch these films over and over, further noting "I think some of the parents out there know exactly what I'm talking about." Lord and Miller seemed to take this as implying that adults can't appreciate animated films, saying "Surely no one set out to diminish animated films, but it’s high time we set out to elevate them."                    I didn't personally find Scott's observation that kids make their parents watch the same animated films over and over again innately demeaning--certainly not any more than Schumer joking that her toddler made he...

REVIEW: The Wild Robot

     I think I must have known that Chris Sanders had another movie on deck, but I guess I had forgotten it was coming out so soon. For whatever reason, when I saw his name at the end of the credits for The Wild Robot , out this weekend, I was caught off guard ... and then realized that it actually explained a lot. The basic premise felt broadly reminiscent of Lilo & Stitch , and there was at least one sequence that definitely recalled How to Train Your Dragon , both of which Sanders co-directed with Dean Deblois (executive producer on this film). With his latest offering for Dreamworks, Sanders cements his position as a titan in the world of animation.     The movie sees ROZ, a shipwrecked robot stranded on an island completely untouched by humans. One would think that such an Eden would be bereft of the squabbles that humans seem so happy to create, but the animals of the island revile this new intruder and put up every fence they have. The only thin...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

Reveling in the Mixed Messages of Miss Congeniality

In book ten of Metamorphoses, Greek poet Ovid tells the tale of Pygmalion, a talented sculptor living in the height of ancient Greek society.      According to the story, Pygmalion’s sculpting prowess was so impeccable that one of his pieces, a marble woman he christened Galatea, was said to be the lovelier than any woman of flesh and blood. Pygmalion was so taken by his creation that he brought her exotic gifts, kissed her marble cheeks, even prepared a luxurious bed for her. Pygmalion so pined to be loved by Galatea that he prayed to the goddess Aphrodite to allow Galatea to reciprocate his love and affection. Aphrodite was apparently in a good mood that day, so she granted Pygmalion’s wish, giving life to Galatea, whom he then wed. The story of Pygmalion is in essence the story of a man who creates his own idealized woman out of whole cloth (or more appropriately, marble), endowing her with all the traits that he finds appealing or alluring. The story also provides a m...

REVIEW: WICKED - For Good

      I'm conflicted about how to approach this review. I know everyone has their own yellow brick road to the myth of The Wizard of Oz as a whole and the specific Broadway adaptation that brought us all here.   I don't want to write this only for others who are familiar with the source material.       Even so, I can't help but review this from the perspective of a fan of the Broadway show--someone who has been tracking the potential for a film adaptation since before Jon M. Chu's participation was announced for the ambitious undertaking of translating one of Broadway's most electric shows onto film. I can't help but view this from the vantage point of someone who knew just how many opportunities this had to go wrong.     And it's from that vantage point that I now profess such profound relief that the gambit paid off. We truly have the " Lord of the Rings of musicals ."  What Jon M. Chu and his team have done here with these two...

Saying Goodbye to Stranger Things

     There's a quote from critic Mark Caro that I think about a lot. I shared it back when I did my critical survey of Pixar movies . Writing about Finding Nemo , Caro wrote in the  Chicago Tribune in 2003 , "Classic film eras tend to get recognized in retrospect while we take for granted timeless works passing before our eyes. So let's pause to appreciate what's been going on at Pixar Animation Studios."      I think that captures the aspirations of all active-minded media consumers. Or at least, it ought to. "This good thing won't last forever, so savor it before the sun goes down."  Modern Times (1936)      But this is also a very hard mindset to access in an online culture that is always seeking to stamp labels and scores on a thing before we shove it on the conveyor belt and move on to the next parcel.       It's something I have been thinking about for the last year or so as the completion of the Stranger ...

REVIEW: Project Hail Mary

    The elements in Project Hail Mary are all mostly straightforward and build to a fairly familiar end: drop an average Joe into an extraordinary situation where he is required to be extraordinary also, and watch extraordinary things happen. This is proven territory.      And I spent most of the time drafting this review trying to decide whether that was a point for or against the film, helmed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller--and whether that made a difference for a non-franchise piece like this, the exact kind of film we need to succeed at the box office in order to have a healthy landscape. I think the answer to that question is honestly bigger than any one film, even a reasonably well-done one such as this.     But I will say that a movie like Project Hail Mary gives me some hope, and it's my wish that the film continues to find people who will receive it with zeal. And I hope that the people who do will continue to search for other films that they...