Skip to main content

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: Five Movies to Shortcut Your Film Education


    For those of you who are keeping track, yes, I am still traumatized by last year's effort to watch a new movie every day of 2022. Thank you for asking.

    In this state of malaise where selecting one film to watch out of the thousands I have not yet seen feels like passing a kidney stone, I am often left to determine which movies will most advance my education on film as an artform. This gets me thinking about the inherent intellectual worth of any given film. 

Billy Wilder directing Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine on the set of The Apartment 
    This is obviously a very subjective measurement. All films bring something to the table, but I also think that newly enlisted film scholars will get a lot further a lot faster familiarizing themselves with filmmakers like John Ford or Billy Wilder than [unspecified studio puppets]. If you're looking to advance your film education, there are a few films worth bringing up that will really expedite your process.

    I see this list as one with a primarily educational incentive rather than one of "favorites," though I do enjoy all of these films. Looking beyond personal fondness, one also has to consider recurring phenomena within the medium and which films display them most clearly--film scholars should be familiar with the neo-realist movement and how it shaped larger cinema, for example. There is obviously a lot to know about the language and history of film, but we'll keep things simple and limit ourselves to just five films here.

    I don't pretend to have mapped out all the corners of worthy film, not on this list and not elsewhere, but if your film school cousin is coming to town next weekend and you really want to impress them, here are some basic touchstone films to familiarize yourself with.

   


1. Metropolis (1927)

Talking Points: Metropolis is a German silent epic about a stratified futuristic society in which the privileged class floats in luxury on the back of the exploited working class. When the son of the city master learns of the plight of the workers, he takes it on himself to correct the failings of his father and restore balance to Metropolis. 

This is one of the earliest, and most iconic, film depictions of class warfare. The image of the machine as a giant monster which feeds on the workers is one of the hallmark pictures of the classist struggle. 

This is also an example of German-expressionist film, a hyper-stylized cultural movement in the country during the 1920s that emphasized all things grim and grotesque. German-expressionism made heavy use of intense lights and darks to evoke a feeling that was at once dreamlike and unsettling. The movement is often seen as Germany's response to the state of the country after World War I left the union rattled and disparate, and its influence can be felt in popular media today, particularly in specialized realms like the horror genre.

The Professor's Take: What really strikes me upon rewatches is how this film almost has a blockbuster sense of scale to it. The film's final act has some pretty impressive set pieces that you'd think early filmmakers just wouldn't attempt with the limited effects that were available. The flooding of the underground city in the climax feels particularly epic in scope. Films like these remind me that while much about film has evolved in the hundred plus years since it was introduced, some aspects of the viewing experience are as old as the medium itself.


2. Vertigo (1958)

Talking Points: If you want to really advance your film literacy, there are certain directors you will want to study and study well, and Alfred Hitchcock is in the inner circle. He is not only a master at visual storytelling and wrestling with audience's suspense, but his films personify certain aspects of the human experience that are themselves inherently linked with the medium of film. Hitchcock knows, for example, that film is itself a sort of voyeurism for the audience. His films display this function while also commenting on it. This is all perhaps clearest with his 1958 offering, Vertigo. This film, foundational to the discussion on "the male gaze," puts its main character in a situation where the act of gazing is not only a prominent process within the film, it becomes a sort of thesis on the nature of objectification. 

Vertigo follows a traumatized police detective, Scottie Ferguson, coming to terms with his newly awakened sense of acrophobia. An old friend convinces Scottie to take on one last mission as PI and investigate the mysterious behavior of his wife, Madeleine. In doing so, however, Scottie finds himself drawn to the mysterious Madeleine in ways that he did not anticipate, unearthing longings that are all-consuming and possibly deadly.

The Professor's Take: I actually came across this film when I was in that transition stage between film amateur to film academic, a time when I was still acclimating to the sensibilities of more auteur-driven films. At that time, I actually found the liberal plot twisting to be excessive and off-putting, and I remembered that it left a very poor taste in my mouth. Yet even then, I found that I couldn't stop thinking about this movie. It wasn't so long before I found the proper mindset in which to not only appreciate but admire the film. 


3. Rashomon (1950)

Talking Points: I said that Hitchcock was one of those directors you need to at least know about. Kurosawa is also in that club. Our friend Kurosawa is most famous for his samurai epics (the name of this genre of Japanese film, for extra points, is Jidaigeki), which have gone on to influence elements of American cinema including Westerns as a whole and Star Wars specifically. The one you're most likely to encounter in Media Arts History I & II is his 1950 film, Rashomon. 

This crime film taking place in feudal Japan follows four different accounts of a violent incident in which a young bride was raped by a bandit who also killed her husband. All the parties involved (including the dead husband, who gives his account with the help of a medium) have a different perspective on what happened, each of their own accounts painting them in the most sympathetic light possible. (What do you know? Literally four different cases of main character syndrome in one movie.) 

The Professor's Take: As I get older, I have really come to appreciate films that know how to phrase complex experiences or phenomena in simple terms. That is the case with this study of whether the human mind is capable of discerning absolute truth. And so this film becomes a touchstone on the nature of storytelling and the human propensity to always see oneself as the good guy. In some ways, this cycle of self-affirmation is why we go to the movies to begin with. We all love to imagine ourselves as the one voice of reason in a distorted world, and films like Rashomon remind us that this is perhaps the least trustworthy impulse of them all. 



4. Nights of Cabiria (1957)

Talking Points: Neo-realism emerged in many international markets following the second world war. This style defied the polished Hollywood vision by using film to capture the gritty side of life, capturing the desolation that so much of the world felt after the war. Italy was one country that really embraced this format. (Lots of countries had their own neo-realist movements. India was another really popular hotspot, offering films like Pather Panchali). 

Neo-realism films generally had a low production value that the filmmakers believed captured a more authentic side of humanity, one that almost resembled a documentary--many of the actors were merely civilians that the crew found on the street, and some films didn't even follow a completed script. This method of filming stands in contrast to the glossy finish of traditional Hollywood films, and films like Nights of Cabiria garner a lot of affection from film afficionados for how they remind us that the medium is so equipped to capture a slice of humanity that is unfiltered, even viscerally so. 

The Professor's Take: For my neo-realism spot, it came down to this or Bicycle Thieves. The latter might actually earn you slightly more street cred, and is also a very good film, but I've always had a soft spot for Nights of Cabiria. The title character's search for love brings you to such a low spot while also affirming the resilience of the human spirit, all without betraying the authenticity or ethos of this genre.



5. Waking Life (2001)

Talking Points: Filmmakers can also counter the Hollywood aesthetic without committing to hyper-realism. You can go so far the other direction and frolic in all things abstract and stylized. The avant-garde class of filmmaking encompasses a wide class of film, and there are a lot of valid entry points. The one we're going to spotlight today is Richard Linklater's 2001 animated piece, Waking Life. 

As with a lot of avant-garde films, Waking Life is lacking anything resembling a plot. What we get instead is a current of loosely jointed scenes, all rendered in differing styles of animation. There's a central character who stumbles through this dreamlike landscape in search of truth, but the chapters themselves are united only through a shared love of life's unanswerable questions and philosophical musings. "They say dreaming is dead," one character muses. "No one does it anymore. It's not dead it's just that it's been forgotten, removed from our language. Nobody teaches it so nobody knows it exists."

The Professor's Take: The film itself is only about an hour and a half long, but as with a lot of stylized, episodic type films, it's really easy to lose yourself in this film. Individual viewers are bound to respond more to certain chapters over others, but that's where each person's experience will reveal their own unique flexes and fascinations. (I myself really love the "holy moments" segment pictured at the head of this section).


    I could obviously go on for a long while like this, but you get the idea ... 

-----

    I've been formally studying film for coming on a decade now, and it's only in recent months that I have come to see myself as anything resembling "educated." However much you put upfront into your study, you're playing a long game. Still, it is imperative to seek out good films to learn from.

    With lists like this, it's easy to accidentally propagate faulty notions that there are films that further your education, and there are films with don't. That's a dire preposition, and not one that I want to exacerbate. I'll say it again, any film can teach you something if you approach it with a fair curiosity. One need not limit their study to the criterion collection exclusively. While universally acclaimed films are a gem, open-mindedness will carry you a lot further than elitism. All films bring something to the table. 

        --The Professor


Honorable Mentions:

The 400 Blows (1959)

The Graduate (1967)

The King of Comedy (1982)

Black Orpheus (1959)

Roma (2018)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Star Wars - The Mandalorian and Grogu

      I haven't historically considered myself a "Star Wars" kid. And to be clear, I take no pride in saying that or anything. I respect the property and what it's given to pop culture.      But I do feel like it's worth mentioning in this review that I didn't really go into Jon Favreu's The Mandalorian and Grogu thinking I had much of what I'd call nostalgia for this movie to exploit.       And yet watching this movie, I found myself hearkening back to the things about Star Wars that caught my attention as a kid. For me, that was the gladiator-style match in "Attack of the Clones." This film offers quite a few roller-coasters along those lines. And as far as the creature designs go for the monsters in these arenas, they were quite good. I wasn't trying too hard to anticipate which were computer-generated and which were puppeted, but the aesthetics of both the Jim Henson era and the Spielberg era sat very well here in this vessel....

We're Back! a Dinosaur's Story - Getting Lost in the "Last Frontier of Imagination"

Last month, Variety ran a piece observing, “Hollywood Can’t Survive Without Animation. So Why Won’t the Industry Respect It?” by Clayton Davis, who reported , “In the nearly five decades that domestic grosses have been tracked, an animated film has finished the year as the No. 1 release just seven times, beginning with Disney’s 'Aladdin' in 1992. Now the medium is having an unprecedented run, with 'Inside Out 2' and 'Zootopia 2' topping the last two calendar years (a first for animated movies to lead the box office for two consecutive years) and the latter becoming the highest-grossing animated film ever domestically. 'The Super Mario Galaxy Movie' is leading 2026 so far and is the only film to cross $1 billion. Setting aside the 2020 and 2021 pandemic seasons, which emptied theaters of family films, animated features have made up about 20% of the year’s 10 top-grossing releases over the past decade. And yet, the artists who make these movies have rarely...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: 10 Movie Theater Experiences That Changed Me

   So, January 2012: Disney is rereleasing their 1991 animated masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast into theaters, and in 3D format, and I'm able to coerce a friend into seeing it with me.       This was a big deal because, as with most of the Disney movies we'd call "classic," Beauty and the Beast had its day in theaters before my time, and this was an opportunity to experience the movie in its proper element, and maybe imagine what it would have been when the legendary tunes by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken graced the public for the first time.     My larger circle was none-too-impressed with my choice. Didn't I know that the movie was already on DVD? That I could just watch it anytime in the comfort of my own home without having to pay for another ticket? How could I be so careless with my finances? (Incidentally, many of these same friends would pay top-dollar to see the Beauty and the Beast remake five years later on opening weekend ...)  ...

"What Are Happy Endings For Anyway?" (II) - The Docks of New York

Yes, fellas. Your calendar is correct. We are, in fact, 10 years out from La La Land .          My main point of interest in Damien Chazelle’s groundbreaking 2016 musical has historically been its role in helping set off the sort of stealth renaissance of musicals we’ve been experiencing the last ten years where we all try to see how big we can make the genre before anyone notices. Chazelle explained at the time , “Now more than ever we need hope and romance on the screen, and I think there’s something about musicals that just get at something that only movies can do. That idea of movies as a dreamland, movies as the language of our dreams and movies as a way of expressing a world in which you break into song, that emotions can violate the rules of reality.”      The hook for this film, though, is very much the film’s ultimate rejection of the traditional happy ending for which musicals are so well known. That is the reason why...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

REVIEW: Jungle Cruise

  Disney has relied on branding for their box-office since Walt himself started using fairy-tales as a launching pad. Flash forward 80 years, and the branding wars have escalated not just within the Disney company, but the industry all around. Disney's Jungle Cruise walks the line between original and remix, and not just because it's adapted from a theme-park ride. This film, a pastiche of adventure flicks over the last 60 years, absorbs the best from its sources of inspiration but falls just short of congealing them into something truly groundbreaking. Tales a mythical tree of life have beckoned explorers since it bloomed into legend hundreds of years ago. This catches the interest of explorer Lily Houghton who makes it her mission to find the tree, first to distribute its gifts to the world and second to keep it from the hands of less benevolent seekers. Her success hinges on joining forces with the gruff Frank Wolff. He'll ferry Lily and her brother, McGregor, across th...

REVIEW: COYOTE VS. ACME

    The secret weapon of The Looney Tunes has always been their natural eloquence with meta-textuality. Seriously. Go rewatch "Duck Amuck." It's high art. That trick isn't really new here in a landscape where "self-awareness" is just generally baked into the fabric of most millennial media.      But Coyote vs Acme nonetheless feels cut from a very different cloth.  I don't even know if that's from anything extra this film does so much as what it doesn't do. This movie never feels like it's trying to prove how much smarter it is than the audience. It doesn't feel smug or self-promoting.     Like, it takes a different kind of self-awareness to look at how many times a certain Wile E. Coyote has tried to get his hands around a certain speeding bird and ask if maybe the poor guy, who has literally tried everything under the sun, has just had the odds stacked against him. It takes a certain kind of movie to decide that this dude just needs so...

Making Room for Classic Movies

Way back in my film school days, I had an interaction with a favorite cousin whom I had not seen in some time. This opportunity to reconnect saw our first interaction since I had been accepted as a film student, and so he asked me what basically everyone asks me right after I tell them I’m studying film, “So, like what’s your favorite movie, then?”      When approached with this question, at least by associates who are not necessarily film buffs, my default response is usually something I know has been on Netflix in the last year. (Though if I had to pick an answer ... maybe Silver Linings Playbook .) I think this time I said James Cameron’s Titanic . He then had a sort of illuminated reaction and followed up with, “I see, so you like … old movies.”  My response to this was something in the vein of, “Well, yes , but NOOOO …”  Steven Spielberg being a 29-year-old on the set of Jaws     In academic circles, t he demarcation between “c...

Do You Hear the People Sing?: "Les Miserables" and the Untrained Singer

          Perhaps no film genre is as neglected in the 21 st century as the musical. With rare exception, the o nly offerings we get are the occasional Disney film, the occasional remake of a Disney film, and adaptations of Broadway stage shows. When we are graced with a proper musical film, the demand is high among musical fans for optimum musical performance, and when a musical film doesn’t deliver this, these fans are unforgiving.  From the moment talking was introduced in cinema, the musical film has been a gathering place where vocal demigods assemble in kaleidoscopic dance numbers in a whirl of cinematic ecstasy too fantastical for this world. What motivation, then, could Tom Hooper possibly have for tethering this landmark of modern musical fandom in grounded, dirty reality?       This movie’s claim to fame is the use of completely live-singing, detailed in this featurette, something no previous movie musical had attempted to...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Do Clementine and Joel Stay Together or Not?

                    Maybe. The answer is maybe.             Not wanting to be that guy who teases a definitive answer to a difficult question and forces you to read a ten-page essay only to cop-out with a non-committal excuse of an answer, I’m telling you up and front the answer is maybe.       Though nations have long warred over this matter, the film itself does not answer once and for all whether or not Joel Barrish and Clementine Krychinzki find lasting happiness together at conclusion of the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Min d. I cannot give a definitive answer as to whether Joel and Clementine’s love will last until the stars turn cold or just through the weekend. This essay cannot do that.             What this essay can do is explore the in-text evidence the film gives for either ...