Skip to main content

REVIEW: Pinocchio

    Earlier this summer, in promotion of next year's Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves film, actor Chris Pine shared his experience prepping for his role by enlisting the help of his nephew, an avid D&D player. Pine has been very open about not only how fun the experience was, but also of the reverence he's developed for what this game means to its fans. "Honestly, I think a D&D class or activity in every school would be a great idea. You get all kinds of different people to sit together. Even if they don’t have anything in common, it’s almost impossible not to get caught up in the fun of the game.” 

    Why do I bring this up in a review of Disney's live-action remake of its 1940 animated masterpiece? 

    Well, part of it may have to do with the fact that Chris Pine actually does get a verbal shoutout in the new remake (in a pop culture reference that would have felt forced in a mid 00's Dreamworks film). Part of it may be that Pine's adoration for the property he is helping to rebuild for the big screen is sorely missed among the parade of Disney live-action remakes. And, if anything, this perhaps most clear in the new remake of Disney's Pinocchio. 

    Insecurity abounds from the film's first minutes where Jiminy Cricket lampshades the absurdity of a phrase like “Once Upon a Time," and it does not let up. Back in the days of Beauty and the Beast (2017), these remakes designed themselves around countering aspersions about the animated canon. They wanted to prove that these films could still jive with the cool kids. Here, the film stumbles over itself scrambling to dig up plot contrivances from the 1940 film that you wouldn't dare to think of--all that just so it can laugh at them before anyone else has the chance. 

Yes, this moment is recreated in CGI.
No, it doesn't look anywhere near as graceful 
    Despite its vocalized disdain for the animated film, this remake sketches in an exorbitant amount of specific moments and icons from the film it is adapting. It's not even the uncanny valley of having so many of the character designs come out identical to their animated predecessors that's grating. Not since The Lion King (2019) has a remake used the copy+paste function so generously. So many segments of vivid animation are translated literally into live-action (or CGI). The audience can discover in real time the beauty of hand drawn animation because they’ll feel the empty spaces of this new facsimile. And when a retelling offers little that is new, that’s all you’ll be thinking about. 

    It's also clear that this was a remake of obligation. Disney was not prepared to bring to life many of the sequences that might have actually looked stunning in live-action (e.g. Pinocchio and Jiminy’s underwater hunt for Geppetto), nor to hire more than six extras to appear onscreen at one time, making the film as a whole feel unnecessarily cramped. I can't even guess at the budget window for this project, but it's not even a polished production value itself that I'm missing. 

    I want the adoration that someone like Chris Pine shows when entrusted with bringing a long-running role playing enterprise to the silver screen for the first time. Bob Chapek must not think that such love exists for the animated canon--"seriously, who gives a flying hoot about cartoons anyways, right?" Disney must think that because remakes like this are greenlit pro forma ("I mean, we're remaking all the other cartoons, we can't just leave this one alone) that audiences will consume them in equal heedlessness. 

   It'd be easy to self-soothe with platitudes about how "children will continue to embrace Walt Disney's masterpiece long after they've forgotten this remake," but ... there's no guarantee of that. As long as major film studios measure their success on the size of their catalogue, senior cast members face an uphill battle fighting for recognition among an unending flood of incoming content. And if this the kind of tentpole for which Disney headlines their Disney+ Day celebration, we have reason to feel concern over what exactly that content looks like.

            --The Professor





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"What Are Happy Endings For Anyway?" (II) - The Docks of New York

Yes, fellas. Your calendar is correct. We are, in fact, 10 years out from La La Land .          My main point of interest in Damien Chazelle’s groundbreaking 2016 musical has historically been its role in helping set off the sort of stealth renaissance of musicals we’ve been experiencing the last ten years where we all try to see how big we can make the genre before anyone notices. Chazelle explained at the time , “Now more than ever we need hope and romance on the screen, and I think there’s something about musicals that just get at something that only movies can do. That idea of movies as a dreamland, movies as the language of our dreams and movies as a way of expressing a world in which you break into song, that emotions can violate the rules of reality.”      The hook for this film, though, is very much the film’s ultimate rejection of the traditional happy ending for which musicals are so well known. That is the reason why...

We're Back! a Dinosaur's Story - Getting Lost in the "Last Frontier of Imagination"

Last month, Variety ran a piece observing, “Hollywood Can’t Survive Without Animation. So Why Won’t the Industry Respect It?” by Clayton Davis, who reported , “In the nearly five decades that domestic grosses have been tracked, an animated film has finished the year as the No. 1 release just seven times, beginning with Disney’s 'Aladdin' in 1992. Now the medium is having an unprecedented run, with 'Inside Out 2' and 'Zootopia 2' topping the last two calendar years (a first for animated movies to lead the box office for two consecutive years) and the latter becoming the highest-grossing animated film ever domestically. 'The Super Mario Galaxy Movie' is leading 2026 so far and is the only film to cross $1 billion. Setting aside the 2020 and 2021 pandemic seasons, which emptied theaters of family films, animated features have made up about 20% of the year’s 10 top-grossing releases over the past decade. And yet, the artists who make these movies have rarely...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: 10 Movie Theater Experiences That Changed Me

   So, January 2012: Disney is rereleasing their 1991 animated masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast into theaters, and in 3D format, and I'm able to coerce a friend into seeing it with me.       This was a big deal because, as with most of the Disney movies we'd call "classic," Beauty and the Beast had its day in theaters before my time, and this was an opportunity to experience the movie in its proper element, and maybe imagine what it would have been when the legendary tunes by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken graced the public for the first time.     My larger circle was none-too-impressed with my choice. Didn't I know that the movie was already on DVD? That I could just watch it anytime in the comfort of my own home without having to pay for another ticket? How could I be so careless with my finances? (Incidentally, many of these same friends would pay top-dollar to see the Beauty and the Beast remake five years later on opening weekend ...)  ...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: Ranking Decades of Film

    This piece's lead image very much puts the modern landscape of blockbusters in competition with classic Hollywood. And the state of things can often feel that way, that film literacy is somehow a zero-sum game between popular film and "real film." But lo, this is just a fun way to visually represent eras of film competing for top placement on one person's ranking. I'm not here to add to any divide.     Rather than argue that one period of film is better than the other, I want to explore how the mutating DNA of cinema carries a base code of magnificence across its lifetime. The way that manifests will vary across each decade, and I'm organizing them in such a way that privileges how I personally favor any given variant, but the lifeblood of the movies is vibrant across the ages.     There is fantastic work in every time era, just as every era has its stumbles. But there are certainly periods where I feel more attuned to the work that Hollywood is puttin...

REVIEW: COYOTE VS. ACME

    The secret weapon of The Looney Tunes has always been their natural eloquence with meta-textuality. Seriously. Go rewatch "Duck Amuck." It's high art. That trick isn't really new here in a landscape where "self-awareness" is just generally baked into the fabric of most millennial media.      But Coyote vs Acme nonetheless feels cut from a very different cloth.  I don't even know if that's from anything extra this film does so much as what it doesn't do. This movie never feels like it's trying to prove how much smarter it is than the audience. It doesn't feel smug or self-promoting.     Like, it takes a different kind of self-awareness to look at how many times a certain Wile E. Coyote has tried to get his hands around a certain speeding bird and ask if maybe the poor guy, who has literally tried everything under the sun, has just had the odds stacked against him. It takes a certain kind of movie to decide that this dude just needs so...

Making Room for Classic Movies

Way back in my film school days, I had an interaction with a favorite cousin whom I had not seen in some time. This opportunity to reconnect saw our first interaction since I had been accepted as a film student, and so he asked me what basically everyone asks me right after I tell them I’m studying film, “So, like what’s your favorite movie, then?”      When approached with this question, at least by associates who are not necessarily film buffs, my default response is usually something I know has been on Netflix in the last year. (Though if I had to pick an answer ... maybe Silver Linings Playbook .) I think this time I said James Cameron’s Titanic . He then had a sort of illuminated reaction and followed up with, “I see, so you like … old movies.”  My response to this was something in the vein of, “Well, yes , but NOOOO …”  Steven Spielberg being a 29-year-old on the set of Jaws     In academic circles, t he demarcation between “c...

REVIEW: The Rivals of Amziah King

    The first note I made for this film is that I knew a bunch of cowboys growing up. But I regretfully did not know any who were just so willing to burst into song.      I thought then that I knew what I was getting into with this movie. But I could not anticipate what this story would try to feed me.      The movie sees Amziah King, a good-natured beekeeper, smalltown musician, and all-around good dude, sorting through some business deals as he happens to reunite with his former foster-daughter, Kateri. Crossing paths again allows them to mutually rediscover what they gave to each other as two people who lifted each other up. But when King's entire stock is stolen at the worst possible moment, Kateri gets to step-up and defend what is theirs.      Amziah King is McConaughey at his most endearing. His ability to put the viewer at ease is the film's greatest trick. I've heard some buzz about this being his best performance ever. I'd...

REVIEW: Soul

Pixar's latest film, Soul , dropped on Disney+ Christmas day, another regrettable casualty of the virus. This time around, we follow a hopeful musician bursting with enthusiasm. Music is an oddly appropriate metaphor for the film: both certainly touch the outer rim of mankind's emotional faculty, but good luck summarizing the experience to your friends. Joe Gardner is a music teacher at a public school whose enthusiasm for music is spilling out of the walls of his classroom. Opportunity strikes Joe the same day that misfortune does, and a fatal accident lands him in a celestial plane of existence known as "The Great Before," where souls are developed and finessed before being sent to earth to experience human existence. Joe is saddled with mentoring 22, a soul sapling who has settled in The Great Before for several hundred years and has no intention of ever giving mortality a chance. But in 22, Joe sees a chance to return back to earth and fulfill his purpose if he ca...

REVIEW: Jungle Cruise

  Disney has relied on branding for their box-office since Walt himself started using fairy-tales as a launching pad. Flash forward 80 years, and the branding wars have escalated not just within the Disney company, but the industry all around. Disney's Jungle Cruise walks the line between original and remix, and not just because it's adapted from a theme-park ride. This film, a pastiche of adventure flicks over the last 60 years, absorbs the best from its sources of inspiration but falls just short of congealing them into something truly groundbreaking. Tales a mythical tree of life have beckoned explorers since it bloomed into legend hundreds of years ago. This catches the interest of explorer Lily Houghton who makes it her mission to find the tree, first to distribute its gifts to the world and second to keep it from the hands of less benevolent seekers. Her success hinges on joining forces with the gruff Frank Wolff. He'll ferry Lily and her brother, McGregor, across th...

REVIEW: Star Wars - The Mandalorian and Grogu

      I haven't historically considered myself a "Star Wars" kid. And to be clear, I take no pride in saying that or anything. I respect the property and what it's given to pop culture.      But I do feel like it's worth mentioning in this review that I didn't really go into Jon Favreu's The Mandalorian and Grogu thinking I had much of what I'd call nostalgia for this movie to exploit.       And yet watching this movie, I found myself hearkening back to the things about Star Wars that caught my attention as a kid. For me, that was the gladiator-style match in "Attack of the Clones." This film offers quite a few roller-coasters along those lines. And as far as the creature designs go for the monsters in these arenas, they were quite good. I wasn't trying too hard to anticipate which were computer-generated and which were puppeted, but the aesthetics of both the Jim Henson era and the Spielberg era sat very well here in this vessel....