Skip to main content

The Great Movie Conquest of 2022 - June


    I'll acknowledge I didn't get to dive as deeply as I'd hoped this month with my chosen theme. Part of that was poor planning, part of that is I'm discovering in realtime the limits of devoting one month to one performer's body of work, particularly when that performer is still alive. The performer in question is, of course, the effervescent Amy Adams. 

    Like most of my generation, I came to know Adams through her performance as Giselle in Enchanted. Her fantastic work in this role helped cement her as the doe-eyed naivete too pure for this world. Much of her work prior to her breakout role (Catch Me if You Can, Junebug, etc.) circled a similar note, as did many of her roles in the years immediately following (Doubt, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, etc.). 

    In the last decade or so, though, Adams has enjoyed more mature and grounded roles, as seen with movies like Nocturnal Animals or Arrival. Part of my conquest this month was to try to identify a specific turning point in her career. 

    It was around 2013, with Man of Steel and American Hustle, that I first started to notice Adams going for more mature roles, and so that's kind of where I assume she made the jump. But I'm finding there are films that complicate that hypothesis. 


    2010 had Adams as a world-weary bartender opposite Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter. Even as early as 2008, one year after her turn as Giselle, she featured in Sunshine Cleaning as a woman who spontaneously decides to start a biohazard clean-up business, and already she was starting to work outside that perfect portrait of wholesomeness. At the start of the film, Adams' character is having an affair with a married man, and she's also shown to be somewhat judgmental and condemning to her wayward sister (played by Emily Blunt). Even fresh out of her turn as a modern Disney Princess, Adams showed great ability in touching on other aspects of the human experience. 

    But of course, that's always been her secret weapon. Her performance in Enchanted wouldn't have been worth remarking on if she didn't have the ability to portray a literal 2D character with depth. She showed us that even something like "innocence" could signal a character with a complex inner life. Though she became more well-known for "weightier" roles later on (I'm especially interested to see how her evolution informs her approach to Giselle when she returns to the role in "Disenchanted" this fall), maturity has always been a part of her repertoire.

    Elsewhere on this month's roundup, June month saw two more movie reviews from me. The first was for Jurassic World: Dominion, and the second was from Elvis. Both movies represent two different factions of film that are often viewed as opposing. "Dominion" is the culminating offering of one of the most successful franchises of all time while "Elvis" is an auteur-driven biopic Oscar hopeful. I know a lot of audiences view these as two separate masters that man cannot serve equally, but here at Films and Feelings, we don't abide by such fallacies. Both were really enjoyable experiences.

   I was lucky to come across Robert Redford's directorial debut, Ordinary People. This film, which took home the best picture of the year Oscar, follows a family grieving the loss of their eldest son. Even knowing the territory, I wasn't prepared for how vulnerable the film made me feel, and I've already given it a second viewing. 

    The votes for next month's theme are in, and I will spend July watching epic fantasy from the 1970s and 80s. I chose this time period specifically because it barely predates the age of CGI. Fantasy during this time looked and felt different than what we know today, and the results are endlessly fascinating. 

     Anyways, we are now halfway through 2022, and I am finally halfway through this fool's errand. I'd say I'm starting to get to that place where I look forward to not having to scramble for a new movie each day, but honestly I've been there since like Mid-March. (It's fine. I only have to do this 184 more times.)

    By this point, I'm starting to ask myself how many of these movies I'm ever going to see again. Or even, how many of these I'm ever going to think of again. Odds are, very few of them. And this only further begs the question, what is the point, then, of all the countless films I'm consuming that are destined for me oblivion?

    I'll be honest, I do not have an answer for this. 

                        --The Professor

If July were just wall-to-wall with 9 and 10 star films, that'd be GREAT ... 


June's Harvest
Big Eyes (2014)
The Omega Man (1971)
The Lure (2015)
Ordinary People (1980)
The Letter (1940)
Sunshine Cleaning (2008)
Network (1976)
Mission: Impossible (1996)
Boys' Night Out (1962)
Jurassic World: Dominion (2022)
The Two Mrs. Carrols (1947)
High and Low (1963)
The Fighter (2010)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)
Limitless (2011)
The Scarlet Letter (1926)
Office Space (1999)
Marathon Man (1976)
The Wings of Eagles (1957)
Loving (2016)
Black Gold (1947)
Ghost World (2001)
Golem (1920)
Elvis (2022)
Too Late for Tears (1949)
The River (1951)
The Big Sick (2017)
That Hamilton Woman (1941)
Enemy of the State (1998)
Blackboard Jungle (1955)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thawing Disney's Frozen Heart

  As a millennial Disney fan and film student in utero, I often thought about what it would have been like to be there when Aladdin or The Little Mermaid , or even “Snow White” or The Jungle Book , premiered to the culture. It’s one thing to grow up and realize you have a piece of film history with you here in your living room. It’s another to get to watch the culture transform as it engages for the first time with something  And I have this envy for a great many cinematic works. Like, what I would give to go back to 1946 and tell those losers who dismissed It's a Wonderful Life how they had no idea what they were sleeping on. But the Disney canon’s place within the culture is also specific. Their commitment to delivering hopeful stories to an audience that believes itself beyond such frailties as faith or kindness is unparalleled, and that makes their contributions worth studying and celebrating. And so I didn’t take it for granted during that period in late 2013/early ...

REVIEW: A Quiet Place - DAY ONE

I remember back when I reviewed A Quiet Place Part II , the thing that was on my mind a world crawling out of a global pandemic.  I now dive into Michael Sarnoski's newest take on the mythology with A Quiet Place: Day One having just this morning heard the news that a certain convicted felon is being granted immunity for his involvement in trying to overthrow democracy, and I am left wondering (not for the first time) what surviving in a world that already balances on borrowed time even means. This is more or less the mindset of the film's protagonist, Sam, a terminally ill cancer patient who was already done with existing well before killer aliens started dropping out from the sky. The only things she cares about in the world are her "emotional support" cat, Frodo, and getting a taste of some proper New York pizza before this cancer takes her, alien invasion or not! While the rest of the city is running off to catch the last boat off Manhattan, she just digs deeper ...

REVIEW: The Wild Robot

     I think I must have known that Chris Sanders had another movie on deck, but I guess I had forgotten it was coming out so soon. For whatever reason, when I saw his name at the end of the credits for The Wild Robot , out this weekend, I was caught off guard ... and then realized that it actually explained a lot. The basic premise felt broadly reminiscent of Lilo & Stitch , and there was at least one sequence that definitely recalled How to Train Your Dragon , both of which Sanders co-directed with Dean Deblois (executive producer on this film). With his latest offering for Dreamworks, Sanders cements his position as a titan in the world of animation.     The movie sees ROZ, a shipwrecked robot stranded on an island completely untouched by humans. One would think that such an Eden would be bereft of the squabbles that humans seem so happy to create, but the animals of the island revile this new intruder and put up every fence they have. The only thin...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Westerns Riding off into the Sunset

In both my Les Miserables and Moulin Rouge! pieces, I made some comment about the musical as the genre that receives the least love in the modern era. I stand by that, but I acknowledge there is one other genre for which you could potentially make a similar case.  I am referring of course to the western film. See, musicals at least have Disney keeping them on life support, and maybe one day we’ll get the  Wicked  movie Universal has been promising us for fifteen years [FUTURE EDIT: All good things, folks ]. But westerns don’t really have a place in the modern film world. Occasionally we’ll get films like  No Country for Old Men,  which use similar aesthetics and themes, but they are heavily modified from the gun-blazing-horseback-racing-wide-open-desert w esterns  of old.  Those died, oddly enough, around the same time musicals fell out of fashion.              Professors Susan Kord and El...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

REVIEW: WICKED - For Good

      I'm conflicted about how to approach this review. I know everyone has their own yellow brick road to the myth of The Wizard of Oz as a whole and the specific Broadway adaptation that brought us all here.   I don't want to write this only for others who are familiar with the source material.       Even so, I can't help but review this from the perspective of a fan of the Broadway show--someone who has been tracking the potential for a film adaptation since before Jon M. Chu's participation was announced for the ambitious undertaking of translating one of Broadway's most electric shows onto film. I can't help but view this from the vantage point of someone who knew just how many opportunities this had to go wrong.     And it's from that vantage point that I now profess such profound relief that the gambit paid off. We truly have the " Lord of the Rings of musicals ."  What Jon M. Chu and his team have done here with these two...

Saying Goodbye to Stranger Things

     There's a quote from critic Mark Caro that I think about a lot. I shared it back when I did my critical survey of Pixar movies . Writing about Finding Nemo , Caro wrote in the  Chicago Tribune in 2003 , "Classic film eras tend to get recognized in retrospect while we take for granted timeless works passing before our eyes. So let's pause to appreciate what's been going on at Pixar Animation Studios."      I think that captures the aspirations of all active-minded media consumers. Or at least, it ought to. "This good thing won't last forever, so savor it before the sun goes down."  Modern Times (1936)      But this is also a very hard mindset to access in an online culture that is always seeking to stamp labels and scores on a thing before we shove it on the conveyor belt and move on to the next parcel.       It's something I have been thinking about for the last year or so as the completion of the Stranger ...

REVIEW: THE ODYSSEY

       I spent two-thirds of Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey thinking I was watching Ridley Scott's Gladiator only to realize I was watching John Ford's The Searchers all the time. And it was largely this eleventh-hour realization that secured the film's favorable rating from me.     My slowness in catching onto this  may have been partially caused by me also looking beyond the mark in other ways. Even if it had been fairly telegraphed in the promotional material, I was kind of hoping that Nolan's vision for the mythological epic would unleash a proper monster parade. But Nolan doesn't appear to want to emulate Demond Davis' Clash of the Titans any more than he did with Tim Burton's Batman  in his "Dark Knight" trilogy.       Witches like Circe and Calypso would never be mistaken for anything adjacent to Michelle Pfieffer in Stardust . Even something like "Pirates of the Caribbean" or "Lord of the Rings" is further on the ...

Do You Hear the People Sing?: "Les Miserables" and the Untrained Singer

          Perhaps no film genre is as neglected in the 21 st century as the musical. With rare exception, the o nly offerings we get are the occasional Disney film, the occasional remake of a Disney film, and adaptations of Broadway stage shows. When we are graced with a proper musical film, the demand is high among musical fans for optimum musical performance, and when a musical film doesn’t deliver this, these fans are unforgiving.  From the moment talking was introduced in cinema, the musical film has been a gathering place where vocal demigods assemble in kaleidoscopic dance numbers in a whirl of cinematic ecstasy too fantastical for this world. What motivation, then, could Tom Hooper possibly have for tethering this landmark of modern musical fandom in grounded, dirty reality?       This movie’s claim to fame is the use of completely live-singing, detailed in this featurette, something no previous movie musical had attempted to...

REVIEW: Spider-Man - Brand New Day

      Somewhere in the multiverse, there's an opening chord of a review where I celebrate Spiderman: Brand New Day as some kind of welcome "return to basics" for the MCU, but that's not more than partially true.       This movie is a lot more straightforward than cohesive than most Marvel pics from the early stretch of the decade. Feige finally feels confident that, yes, we know that there's a multiverse, and we don't need more reminders.     But this is also not a budget Marvel movie. The film still designs an elaborate fireworks show for Peter Parker to dance around. There is also definite signaling for future Marvel adventures. Sadie Sink's stealth role in this movie (a sizzling introduction into the MCU) teases the integration of a new family of superheroes set to join the ranks of The New Avengers.      But these sneak peeks feel like just that, and unlike sloppier Marvel pics, they aren't made to bear the weight of the e...