Skip to main content

REVIEW: All Together Now


The unceasing search for new acting talent to mine continues with Netflix's new film, All Together Now, which premiered this week on the service. This film features Moana alum Auli'i Cravalho as Amber Appleton, a bright but underprivileged high schooler with high aspirations. Netflix's new film plays like a trial run for Cravalho to see if this Disney starlet can lead a live-action film outside the Disney umbrella. Cravalho would need to play against a slightly stronger narrative backbone for us to know for sure, but early signs are promising. 

All Together Now follows Amber Appleton, a musically talented teen overflowing with love for her classmates, her coworkers, and her community. Amber reads like George Bailey reincarnated as a high school girl, throwing herself into any opportunity to better the world around her, like hosting her high school's annual for benefit Variety Show. But Amber's boundless optimism conceals an impoverished home life. She and her mother, Becky, secretly live in a school bus that her mother drives during the day. Amber spends her precious spare moments working three different jobs hoping to earn enough money for them to secure an apartment--any apartment--but Amber may get to set her sights a little higher when the prestigious Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania takes interest in her. The future that opens up to her promises to take her far beyond the bus yard, but only if she can make herself vulnerable in a way she's never known before.

Amber's reluctance to share her double-life with her friends is framed as a search for independence, an insistence she can take on her allotted trials without the assistance she so readily extends to others. Perhaps a way of distancing herself from the emotional dependency she observes in her mother with her toxic, abusive ex-boyfriend, to whom she returns repeatedly. Most of the psychology behind Amber's actions is subtext, and the film is better for it. The film shows good instincts on when a character might reasonably spell out what's on her mind and when to let the actions speak for themselves.

Strangely enough, the film is only casually interested in the audition plotline. Similarly, the film only offers Cravalho one opportunity to show off her vocal prowess. The movie's premiere song "Feels Like Home" only features once, and it does not fulfill the function one might have supposed for a movie centered around an audition to an elite university. Appreciate it when it comes, because it only comes once.

Amber Appleton bears more than a little resemblance to the optimistic, self-assured, good-role-model-for-little-girls character of Moana. That Cravalho slips into this garb so well works both to the film's detriment and benefit. This is apparently where Cravalho hits her stride, and it's certainly a stride, but the Moana parallels are sometimes too glaring, particularly in the first half-hour of the film before the tone darkens and the tensions mount.

If Cravalho glows slightly brighter when she's allowed to be a modern Disney Princess, it is at least partially due to the insistence that the film not get too bogged down by its own innate tragedy. The film plays with some rather heavy material--poverty, alcoholism, abusive relationships, etc.--but does so within the fence of a PG rating. 

The film isn't necessarily wrong to repackage real-world issues for a PG audience, but tiptoeing around some of the weightier content (we are told Becky's abusive-ex Oliver is bad for Amber and Becky, and Amber briefly describes his abusive behavior to another character, but big bad Oliver himself never makes an appearance on-screen) does deny the film some emotional volatility and Cravalho the chance to really hit the acting high notes. 

Just the same, Cravalho is pleasant to watch, and she does get unexpected moments, unexpected emotional beats, to exhibit intelligent performance instincts.

Though this is certainly Cravalho's film, she is supported by a fantastic ensemble cast including television comedian of legend, Carol Burnett, in the role of the most well-dressed senior citizen you've ever met. Of special note is Justina Machado, Becky, who paints the sympathetic yet frustrating picture of a woman who may be more of a child than the daughter who depends on her.

Centering a plot's development on when a character decides to ask for help is an interesting choice, but there's unspoken wisdom in highlighting this internal conflict, and it's woven integrally and deliberately into the narrative. It was only when I was watching the climactic variety show that a lot of the carefully orchestrated pieces in this film became clear.

Do we have a future star in Auli'i Cravalho? Does Auli'i Cravalho have a future in acting outside of Disney? My money is on yes, should Cravalho choose to pursue that path. She'll need just a little more to work with, but she can handle it. Take her, she's ready.

        --The Professor




Comments

  1. Wow! I have not seen this, nor even heard of it, but you have sold me on this movie. Can't wait to watch it! Absolutely loved the line, "Amber reads like George Bailey reincarnated as a high school girl..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"What Are Happy Endings For Anyway?" (II) - The Docks of New York

Yes, fellas. Your calendar is correct. We are, in fact, 10 years out from La La Land .          My main point of interest in Damien Chazelle’s groundbreaking 2016 musical has historically been its role in helping set off the sort of stealth renaissance of musicals we’ve been experiencing the last ten years where we all try to see how big we can make the genre before anyone notices. Chazelle explained at the time , “Now more than ever we need hope and romance on the screen, and I think there’s something about musicals that just get at something that only movies can do. That idea of movies as a dreamland, movies as the language of our dreams and movies as a way of expressing a world in which you break into song, that emotions can violate the rules of reality.”      The hook for this film, though, is very much the film’s ultimate rejection of the traditional happy ending for which musicals are so well known. That is the reason why...

We're Back! a Dinosaur's Story - Getting Lost in the "Last Frontier of Imagination"

Last month, Variety ran a piece observing, “Hollywood Can’t Survive Without Animation. So Why Won’t the Industry Respect It?” by Clayton Davis, who reported , “In the nearly five decades that domestic grosses have been tracked, an animated film has finished the year as the No. 1 release just seven times, beginning with Disney’s 'Aladdin' in 1992. Now the medium is having an unprecedented run, with 'Inside Out 2' and 'Zootopia 2' topping the last two calendar years (a first for animated movies to lead the box office for two consecutive years) and the latter becoming the highest-grossing animated film ever domestically. 'The Super Mario Galaxy Movie' is leading 2026 so far and is the only film to cross $1 billion. Setting aside the 2020 and 2021 pandemic seasons, which emptied theaters of family films, animated features have made up about 20% of the year’s 10 top-grossing releases over the past decade. And yet, the artists who make these movies have rarely...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: 10 Movie Theater Experiences That Changed Me

   So, January 2012: Disney is rereleasing their 1991 animated masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast into theaters, and in 3D format, and I'm able to coerce a friend into seeing it with me.       This was a big deal because, as with most of the Disney movies we'd call "classic," Beauty and the Beast had its day in theaters before my time, and this was an opportunity to experience the movie in its proper element, and maybe imagine what it would have been when the legendary tunes by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken graced the public for the first time.     My larger circle was none-too-impressed with my choice. Didn't I know that the movie was already on DVD? That I could just watch it anytime in the comfort of my own home without having to pay for another ticket? How could I be so careless with my finances? (Incidentally, many of these same friends would pay top-dollar to see the Beauty and the Beast remake five years later on opening weekend ...)  ...

REVIEW: Jungle Cruise

  Disney has relied on branding for their box-office since Walt himself started using fairy-tales as a launching pad. Flash forward 80 years, and the branding wars have escalated not just within the Disney company, but the industry all around. Disney's Jungle Cruise walks the line between original and remix, and not just because it's adapted from a theme-park ride. This film, a pastiche of adventure flicks over the last 60 years, absorbs the best from its sources of inspiration but falls just short of congealing them into something truly groundbreaking. Tales a mythical tree of life have beckoned explorers since it bloomed into legend hundreds of years ago. This catches the interest of explorer Lily Houghton who makes it her mission to find the tree, first to distribute its gifts to the world and second to keep it from the hands of less benevolent seekers. Her success hinges on joining forces with the gruff Frank Wolff. He'll ferry Lily and her brother, McGregor, across th...

Finding Nemo: The Thing About Film Criticism ...

       Film is a mysterious thing. It triggers emotional responses in the audience that are as surprising as they are all-encompassing. As a medium, film is capable of painting stunning vistas that feel like they could only come to life behind the silver screen, but many of the most arresting displays on film arise from scenes that are familiar, perhaps even mundanely so.       It’s an artform built on rules and guidelines–young film students are probably familiar with principles like the rule of thirds or the Kuleshov effect–but someone tell me the rule that explains why a line like “We’ll always have Paris,” just levels you. There are parts of the film discussion that cannot be anticipated by a formula or a rulebook, and for that we should be grateful.         Arrival (2016)      But the thing about film–and especially film criticism–is that film critics are not soothsayers. Their means of divining the artis...

REVIEW: Star Wars - The Mandalorian and Grogu

      I haven't historically considered myself a "Star Wars" kid. And to be clear, I take no pride in saying that or anything. I respect the property and what it's given to pop culture.      But I do feel like it's worth mentioning in this review that I didn't really go into Jon Favreu's The Mandalorian and Grogu thinking I had much of what I'd call nostalgia for this movie to exploit.       And yet watching this movie, I found myself hearkening back to the things about Star Wars that caught my attention as a kid. For me, that was the gladiator-style match in "Attack of the Clones." This film offers quite a few roller-coasters along those lines. And as far as the creature designs go for the monsters in these arenas, they were quite good. I wasn't trying too hard to anticipate which were computer-generated and which were puppeted, but the aesthetics of both the Jim Henson era and the Spielberg era sat very well here in this vessel....

REVIEW: COYOTE VS. ACME

    The secret weapon of The Looney Tunes has always been their natural eloquence with meta-textuality. Seriously. Go rewatch "Duck Amuck." It's high art. That trick isn't really new here in a landscape where "self-awareness" is just generally baked into the fabric of most millennial media.      But Coyote vs Acme nonetheless feels cut from a very different cloth.  I don't even know if that's from anything extra this film does so much as what it doesn't do. This movie never feels like it's trying to prove how much smarter it is than the audience. It doesn't feel smug or self-promoting.     Like, it takes a different kind of self-awareness to look at how many times a certain Wile E. Coyote has tried to get his hands around a certain speeding bird and ask if maybe the poor guy, who has literally tried everything under the sun, has just had the odds stacked against him. It takes a certain kind of movie to decide that this dude just needs so...

Making Room for Classic Movies

Way back in my film school days, I had an interaction with a favorite cousin whom I had not seen in some time. This opportunity to reconnect saw our first interaction since I had been accepted as a film student, and so he asked me what basically everyone asks me right after I tell them I’m studying film, “So, like what’s your favorite movie, then?”      When approached with this question, at least by associates who are not necessarily film buffs, my default response is usually something I know has been on Netflix in the last year. (Though if I had to pick an answer ... maybe Silver Linings Playbook .) I think this time I said James Cameron’s Titanic . He then had a sort of illuminated reaction and followed up with, “I see, so you like … old movies.”  My response to this was something in the vein of, “Well, yes , but NOOOO …”  Steven Spielberg being a 29-year-old on the set of Jaws     In academic circles, t he demarcation between “c...

PROFESSOR'S PICKS: Ranking Decades of Film

    This piece's lead image very much puts the modern landscape of blockbusters in competition with classic Hollywood. And the state of things can often feel that way, that film literacy is somehow a zero-sum game between popular film and "real film." But lo, this is just a fun way to visually represent eras of film competing for top placement on one person's ranking. I'm not here to add to any divide.     Rather than argue that one period of film is better than the other, I want to explore how the mutating DNA of cinema carries a base code of magnificence across its lifetime. The way that manifests will vary across each decade, and I'm organizing them in such a way that privileges how I personally favor any given variant, but the lifeblood of the movies is vibrant across the ages.     There is fantastic work in every time era, just as every era has its stumbles. But there are certainly periods where I feel more attuned to the work that Hollywood is puttin...

REVIEW: The Rivals of Amziah King

    The first note I made for this film is that I knew a bunch of cowboys growing up. But I regretfully did not know any who were just so willing to burst into song.      I thought then that I knew what I was getting into with this movie. But I could not anticipate what this story would try to feed me.      The movie sees Amziah King, a good-natured beekeeper, smalltown musician, and all-around good dude, sorting through some business deals as he happens to reunite with his former foster-daughter, Kateri. Crossing paths again allows them to mutually rediscover what they gave to each other as two people who lifted each other up. But when King's entire stock is stolen at the worst possible moment, Kateri gets to step-up and defend what is theirs.      Amziah King is McConaughey at his most endearing. His ability to put the viewer at ease is the film's greatest trick. I've heard some buzz about this being his best performance ever. I'd...